1990 8v digi in power loss shocker

Discussion in '8-valve' started by j3llyf1sh, Nov 5, 2009.

1. j3llyf1sh New Member

Hi all,

1990 8v digi, 123K, daily driver.

Been using the car to get to work (20 mile round trip) no problems for the past 4 months.

Coming back from work the other day, there was a loss of [horse]power, followed by rough running. Being on a main road I went down a single track lane to have a look under the bonnet, everything seems in order, drove up and down for a couple of miles with it running unusably rough and then it kicked back into life. Managed to make it home with it running OK.

Had another go at the weekend, drove for a quarter mile and it did exactly the same thing, did a U turn and abonded it on my drive.

It's recently (couple months ago) had HT leads, sparkers, air/oil filters replaced, and before that ECU + blue temp sender. Sparkers are reddish brown, brick-like colour which Google tells me is OK. Idle appears to be fine. If you gently build the revs its OK but if you pin it, it wants to die, as in revs go down not up.
    To me it feels like the fuel is cutting out, any ideas what the most likely culprit is?

Thanks in advance as always.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

disconnect the plug to the main fuel pump under the car, and turn the key 1 click. you should hear the in-tank pump prime, if not its dead :)

3. j3llyf1sh New Member

Nope can't hear it priming :(

Looks like a replacement is in order.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

4. j3llyf1sh New Member

Alright, pump in and car started, haven't been brave enough to take it for a spin yet, I do however have a question, when idling, if you stab the throttle it wants to die, does it when cold and continues to do so when warm, I'm certain that's not right, any ideas??

5. rubjonny

have you repeated the test to make sure the new one is now working?

6. j3llyf1sh New Member

Yep its definately working. Gonna test drive it on Sunday.

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Will most likely need a setup as the revs should not stutter or drop with a sharp press of the throttle...;)

Id also be looking for air leaks....air inlet hose & rocker bung are both common culprits;)

8. rubjonny

bad news, sounds like the main pump might have been damaged :(

could be something simple like a missfire though, did you fit a new dizzy cap & rotor arm?

9. j3llyf1sh New Member

Nah I haven't, might be worth doing for the sake of it, pretty sure theirs no air leaks, gonna have a gander now.

10. j3llyf1sh New Member

The dizzy cap + rotor arm did the trick... thanks all :thumbup:

Best 10 ever spent.