1991 1.8 GL - fuel economy???

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Alpenweiss2, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

I am thinking of buying a very tidy 1991 Mk2 Golf 1.8 GL for my girlfriend as a runabout. It's only done 88K and looks pretty tidy in photos, but I've yet to see it in the metal. It is the five door with original big bumpers and the four headlamp grille. The guy is looking or around 600 and it might be a bargain? Oh it is a manual not auto!

Does anyone know what the fuel economy is like on these? I know that they have carbs instead of fuel injection so I guess the economy would be lower? My 1991 8 valve gti will do about 38-40 MPG on a long run.

Cheers Cymraeggti:)

2. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've got the same engine in my Mk2. It's been played about with a bit and will still do 30mpg on a normal run, 35+ on the motorway. It's also got a GTI box which has lower ratios which doesn't help.

The main thing to look out for is the carb. When they are running right the Pierburg carb is very economical and makes for a smooth ride, but when the start mucking up they are a pain.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Probably less economical round town, but should get 40+mpg on a run - I think it should have the taller 5th gear, as per a driver.

Of course, it's all down to the carb working properly - makes a big difference. If it's got an old pierburg on it, expect some hassle unless it's been sorted recently. If it's got a weber conversion, things are looking up!

4. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

It should have the 4+E gearbox, which means sitting at 75-80mph on the motorway is around 3-3.5k rpm.

Before I changed to the GTI gearbox, I managed 420ish miles from a single tank (45ish litres). That was sitting on the motorway at 80-90mph, and 8 runs down Santa Pod. Works out at over 40mpg. I think.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

45 litres is about 10 gallons, so that's about 42mpg.

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

That's what I worked it out as.

With the GTI box it's about 350 miles now cruising at 80ish.

7. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I will be checking out the Golf later with my girlfriend. Hopefully it will be an original tidy car!

Cheers cymraeggti:)