1991 power problems between 1500 and 2000 rpm

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jimmykav, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jimmykav

jimmykav New Member

Hi
    I have a 19918v gti PB engine.
    Recently it has started to loose power between 1500 and 2000 rpm. If you come off the throttle between these two it looses power, feels like its running out of petrol. Then when you accelerate it judders violently for a few seconds and then is fine again once you get over 2000. It also drives fine below 1500. This has happened twice in the last 4 days and im guessing it only going to get worse.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Jimmy

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i would start by checking all the vac hoses for splits, look at the PCV bunk too. have to take it out really to see if its split in the lip where it fits to rocker cover really. if all that checks oput next look at the wiring to the throttle switch, make sure its not snapped or shorting out. then make sure idle switch clicks as the throttle is closed to the stop.

if thats ok check thru my digifant tuning guide, and if all that is ok id replace the blue ecu temp sensor with a new one from vw.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Off the top of my head, no idea!

Has it had any work done recently?

Does it idle smoothly?

Has the fuel pump got any noisier?

Is the bung on top of the rocker cover (where the breather 'flying saucer' goes in) ok and not split?

EDIT: Damn your lightning fingers, RJ ;)

4. rubjonny

5. jimmykav

jimmykav New Member

Just had it looked at by a garage, they also mentioned something about temp senser. Prob should explain this in the original post as I mentioned this at the garage - no it doesn't idle very nicely most the time. Also the indicator light in the dash Is on all the time and can't indicate right at all, relay has also been replaced but still have the same problem. Heating, rear window de-mister and fog lights sometimes stop working also. The. Garage had a quick look and found no air leaks. No work done on the car recently. Could this all be linked as some kind of electrical problem?

6. jimmykav

jimmykav New Member

And no the fuel pump hasn't got any noisier

7. rubjonny

heater etc not working could be down to the x-over relay, #17 or #18 on fusebox, give it a wiggle. check fusebox for water damage also. do the hazards work properly

8. jimmykav

jimmykav New Member

That was replaced 2 days ago but hasn't made any difference :( sometimes that hazards work, sometimes only the left hand side comes on

9. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

if your hazards are getting abit funky take the switch apart and give it a good clean as that fixed my half hazards

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

I'd suspect the blue temp sender or the airflow meter. If the track in the flowmeter gets worn it can produce similar symptoms.

Aside from that- a vac leak such as split pcv bung can make it run lean low down and idle poorly