1997 vr6 chipping

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by kev-morris, Dec 4, 2004.

1. kev-morris Forum Member

ive got a 1997 vr6 highline and im toying with the idea of chipping it, is it worth it? i know its not going to increase bhp by much but what is it like to drive? anyone got any experiences to share. my car is std apart from induction kit, would i be better with an exhust first?

2. andysdad Forum Member

Dont take it as gospel,it is just my experience BUT.I had our L reg VR6 done and to be honest I was dissapointed,perhaps I was expecting too much but I could hardly notice a differance.The MPG has improved slightly the average on setting 2 used to be 28,now it is just over 30.I had a race with a Golf the same as mine(dont know if it had been chipped)and there was nothing in it.We were two up (three perhaps with me!)but he was one up.
    It cost about 260 to get it done and I wish I had put the money to something else.
    THIS IS JUST MY OPINION,you might get it done and think it is worth it.If you want their number I will put it up.They are in Warrington.

3. ColinT Forum Member

Should always do other mods before chipping.

I had an AMD chip fitted to my 96 VR6 after fitting a Milltek exhaust asd Blitz induction kit.

Gave an extra 7bhp at top end which didn't feel any different. Gave a major torque increase at lower revs (2 - 3.5k ish) which you could feel. Definately made the car feel more responsive under normal driving conditions. I'd do it again if I got another VR.

Best q mile time before chipping was 15.9, managed a 15.3 after.

4. cliveyp Forum Member

I still haven't pulled my ECU out to check, but on talking to Vince at Stealth at the VR6OC RR day, i'm told that OBD2 VR's are not worth chipping. We have a thought that mine is done, but like i say i cannot confirm it, but he tells me that it has the characteristics of it being done. Apparently he claims that VW have done a good job with the standard map as they tend to give around 10bhp on what they should be anyway. Some chips were done that claimed more power etc, but all they did was advance the timing at higher revs (or something like) which caused them to pink, which is what mine was doing.

Although, this apparently could have also been down to the exhaust, which i've now changed, and it runs much better, so i'l tell you more after the next RR day at the end of Feb! [:D]