2.0 16V ABF dont want to idle

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Matas, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Matas Forum Member

Hello everyone!
    I had my 2.0 16v ABF Ibiza sitting outside whole winter, started it last week, response to accelerator was poor and if I release my brake off the gas pedal, revs just drop to 0. Car doesn't even try to idle.
    Is it just humidity problem and it need to proper warm up? Or are there any certain areas I should be aware of for this problem

2. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

A few ideas
    -ISV may need a clean. Can you hear it running on ignition?
    -Vac leak somewhere else
    -how old is the fuel although my ABF sat for a few years and started fine on the old fuel. Wasn't E10 though. E10 goosed a brand new Bosch pump on a corrado 16v i had an let sit for 6 months.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check fuse 15, if its gone look at the breather heater wiring round the back of inlet along with throttle position and idle switch plugs. in fact regardless pull the whole loom section off and check it as if you've never looked at it chances are its trashed and needs repair

get yourself a vagcom cable from ebay and hook it up, you can check faults and also look thru all the ecu sensors in real time to see if anything looks off. the throttle switch may want repair, heres a handy link where you can get abf label files for vagcom plus it also covers how to check the idle switch in here as well:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vag-com-abf-digifant-label-files.199583/

if idle switch is bust have a read here:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...-0-16v-abf-throttle-close-microswitch.289567/

4. Matas Forum Member

It will probably be the idle switch, since I had the same problem few months ago that when the car got up to the temp, revs started jumping from 500 to 3k when at red light...

5. Matas Forum Member

fuel is not old, 3 months old, ISV is buzzing on ignition. I think it might be idle switch

6. Matas Forum Member

just no way of testing it now since my car looks like this
    275905243_457193252819972_2175670240333086655_n.jpg

7. rubjonny

ideal time to have the engine loom off then, 9 times out of 10 its shafted if no-ones looked at it recent. try to get hold of some heat protection for the run behind the throttle, mk4 golf speedo and oil level/temp wiring is a good donor for this tubing. you can strip out the 2 pin plug with black and brown wires also thats for breather heater and isnt used unless its very cold climate market. see the plastic pipe the plug fits to it has no pins in usually :) the black wire is tapped to isv so blows isv/ecu fuse 15 when it shorts, carefully snip that junction and the brown just earths straight to the head easy to pull out.

8. Matas Forum Member

No chance for me to pull it out [:D] I am not capable of fixing the wires.. Wires inside are different colours and tubing doesnt look like it came from the factory.

9. Matas Forum Member

IMG_20220321_150421.jpg IMG_20220321_150356.jpg

10. rubjonny

looks like someones been in there, just have to hope they did a good job. maybe its time to learn how to fix wires ;)

Matas likes this.