2.0 8v mk2

Discussion in '8-valve' started by pwoiks, Jun 25, 2005.

1. pwoiks Forum Member

i want to convert my 1800 to 2.0 by fitting a 2.0 block and bottom end, have been to the scrappy and he has plenty of donor cars for this, am i correct in thinking the blocks i can use are, AGG, ABA, 2A, 3A, AWF, AWG?
    the guy in the scrappy said hed just sell me the engine as a complete unit for 100, is this a good price or is it worth shopin round for a cheaper one? also am i correct in thinkingi need a mk1 distriputor with a special ring adaptor?, do GSF sell the ring adaptors and does anyone know the part nuber?any advice would be greatfull and is there anything i have missed to do this conversion, much appreciate
    pwoiks

2. Rustynuts Forum Member

Check FAQ Engine section, all details are there. :)

3. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

I used the 2E bottom end out my passat, used the dizzy same as Mk3, and shoved on the 8v K Jet Head, pretty straight forward, you need to block of the vac advance and plumb the crank breather to the airbox,

I put it in members motors 8v conversion have a butchers.

4. pwoiks Forum Member

so what i was told about using the mk1 distributor is not true? and i can use the distibutor from which ever block i get the car from? i have a k&n cone filter on the car also so what would have to be done to the crank breather to solve it?
    pwoiks

5. pwoiks Forum Member

am i correct in thinking that the first and best/easiest option would be a 3A block from an audi 80, then 2nd choice would be either a 2E or AGG from a mk3, sorry for repeating some questions but this is my first majour engine mod so i want to try and make it run smoothly and find out all the info needed
    thanks agen
    pwoiks

6. VR6Will Forum Member

what 8v do you have? digi or k-jet? i used a 3a block, i was running digi and used a mk3 dizzy, plugs straight into the digi loom and no need for the adaptor ring, if you do the need the ring, TSR can supply this...or i do have the mk3 dizzy still ;)

7. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I have a K-Jet and I want to do a similar conversion.

What bits will I need to buy? A list would be really useful or a link to a conversion guide for a K-Jet,since all these different methods posted in this thread are quite confuseing [​IMG]

8. pwoiks Forum Member

am going to look for a 3A audi 80 engine in the scrappy this mornin, could anyone tell me where the code is located on the engine? and how can i tell its a 2.0 and not an 1800 or is the 3A only a 2.0?
    pwoiks

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

3A is always a 2.0

If it's in the same place as a golf there should be a flat surface on the top of the block (just under plug No 3) which has the engine on it. The first two characters of the engine number should be the code. They're often pretty faint though - a bit of spit and polish might be needed.

A 2.0 badge on the boot lid might be a clue too.

10. Trinity Forum Member

no one probably noticed, but a whole 2e block and head with all running gear went for 36 on ebay the other day! use the 2E, pop some new rings in it, if you have a digifant 8v mk2, use the digifant head...remember it needs a rolling road tune afterwards as the block needs tonnes more feul, more than you can do with the mixture control...
    iom running at 142 at the fly with shrick 272 and vernier...just need to find a crossflow now as im quite envious of oakgreen88!!!

11. pwoiks Forum Member

im going to pick up a 3A engine on the weekend for a 100. the guy who worked at the scrappy said theres no diffrence in bore size between the 1800 and 2.0?? so im guessing it has a longer stroke then or is the guy in the scrappy talkin through his a**e??
    pwoiks

12. farquare Forum Member

142 at the fly, whats that at the wheels?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Talking through his botty I think - there's not much in it, but you couldn't swap the pistons over [:D]

1781cc = 81mm bore x 86.4mm stroke
    1984cc = 82.5mm bore x 92.8mm stroke

These figs are from carfolio.com, which is usually fairly accurate, but not 100% foolproof.

14. squibby Forum Member

Sounds a little dear, but some scrappys are. I would expect to get a whole car for 100, then ebay the bits you don't want and get some pikeys to cart the rest of the shell away. 100 not too bad if it comes with a warranty

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

Not true in the slightest... [8(]

A standard digifant head is the limiting flow factor when put on a 2L block. Fuelling only needs to be significantly increased when there is a significant increase in air throughput with the head...such as big valves/flowing/hot cam etc etc ;)

The mixture screw on a digifant only alters the Idle mixture anyhow. The airflow meter controls mixture above idle up until the air flap is fully open, at which point it runs on the ECU map... [:[]
    Edited by: chrismc

16. autocad New Member

you may have resolved this already but...............

If you use an 2.0L AGG you need to:-

Plug thecrank sensorin thebase of the block.

For a dizi you need an early2.0l audi or VW with the 4 blade rotor, the later AGG uses a single blade and a crank sensor.The diameter of thebase and pinion is slightly larger.If you are using the original dizi change the pinion on the bottom and add a spacer ring.

The breather on the block is also different.Plug the crank breather and add the early type, you need an adapter plate to do this,(if you are changing the head.) otherwise keep the original head/breather set up.

The advantage of the2.0l head isthe injectors are in the manifoldkeeping everything cool. but the throtle body if different and cannot be used with your loom Digi or K jet.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The simplest option is to change the bottom end, change the dizi, block the breather and crank sensor anduse your original head, either digi or Kjet.

Then you have no hastle with throttle bodies over complicated wiring