2.0 8v power output

Discussion in '8-valve' started by strapper, May 15, 2009.

1. strapper Forum Member

Thinking on tuning my 8v engine up a bit for the track car, I quite like the 8v engine I know its no rocket ship but I was just wondering what potential it's got? What is the most power you can get out of it keeping it reliable?

2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's in a Mk3, you're a bit more limited by the catalyst, as to what you can do. Getting as much weight off the car as possible, will make a big difference.

4. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

Hi, i wandering if you gurus out there could give me an honest opinion. Ive got a fresh TSR 2l 8v block with lightened and balanced bottom end and clutch, bid valve 40/35 polished and ported head, kent 282 cam running on twin weber 45's with a ported and polished manifold. What kind of power output would you expect to see from this as ive been on the rolling road expecting around 150 maybe more BHP and been disappointed with a crap 138 BHP. does this seem too low for the spec or was i just being greedy hoping for more and should be happy?
    Thanks

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Mid 160's would be right for the above with the right choke size and a tubular manifold, so 138-140hp at the wheels on the rollers would be about right.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Torque figure / print out ?

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

What CR have you got?

8. madasafish100

its running on a 4-1 manifold with stainless exhaust system. The power output ive quoted is flywheel HP so seems around 15hp too low at the mo then. The carbs are running 36mm chokes. As for torque it pushing 150 lb/ft. And i think the compression ratio is standard which is prob my reason for lack of power. I would of thought TSR would do this as they should know what theyre doing but when i asked they said its probably left standard.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Won't help, with that cam. I'm no carb expert, but I'd have said you're a bit over-carbed as well, for that power output.

10. madasafish100

i think the head is going to have to come off and go for a skim. Is there a way of working out how much needs to be taken off for a desired compression. Id like it to be taken up to 11:1. As for the carbs they should be fine if i can get the power up theyre a bit pointless at the moment.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

In rough numbers, 1mm off the head takes it up 1 ratio (e.g. from 10:1 to 11:1)

As it's non standard kit though, you really need to measure it properly, rather than just guess it - CC the head, and the dish in the piston. A syringe, a sheet of perspex with a hole in it, and some engine oil will do the trick.

If it's a TSR head, I expect it'll be around 29.5cc, but if you check the receipt, it might tell you.

I'm not clear on what a kent 282 cam is. I can't see anything on their website called that. Is it a GS2H, or GS25H maybe?

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have never heard of a kent 282, in fact the only 282 i know of is the TSR 203, which maybe manufactured by Kent.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah, I did wonder if it was a TSR / Kent one.

14. madasafish100

yea its the TSR 203 solid tappet cam. thought it was a kent one but im prob being a dunse!!

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think they're made by Kent for TSR. I'd say you want 11:1 CR, or maybe even a little more. Will you use it much on the road, or is it a track toy?

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

As a comparison, my TSR 1800 on Kjet / K-Star put out 143bhp / 117lbft (flywheel) - Solid lifter Pack D head / 103 cam (285`).

Assume compression was standard.

RR details if required.

17. madasafish100

well it was going to be a track engine but im so dis appointed with it think it will go in a mk1 im building as a daily. I would of thought tsr would raise the compression to suit whilst building the engine they have been useless through out really. :( as for power it really does seem to be lacking!

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

It certainly sounds like it's worth upping the compression a bit, in either car. If it's purely for track, you might want to go a bit wilder on the cam too.

I wouldn't run big carbs on a road 8v though. Boiling petrol isn't my idea of a good time.

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

What did you ask them for pre build ?

How does it drive .. 150lbft is pretty good ?

Did TSR set it all up ?

Sorry but the info supplied does not add up, or is it just me ?

20. madasafish100

well i put the carbs on cos i was intending on using this set up on the track hence the reason for the carbs for max power. If i had realised it was going to be this bad i would of left it on k jet but its too late now cos ive sold the whole set up. Whole projects been a money wasting learning curve lol the rolling road i went too seemed pretty useless too so there maybe more in it yet.