2.0 cross flow 8V

Discussion in '8-valve' started by badboi1, Jul 17, 2007.

1. VR6Will Forum Member

yup, it was me that had what id call a fairly high spec 8v,

APK x-flow head, schrick solid lifter conversion, schrick 304deg cam, jenvey itbs, dta ecu, 2l bottom end lightened and balanced, god knows whatever else i had on it, it made 170bhp but that was over 7k, it reved up to 8k with ease and did sound mental, more time on the rollers, more/better mapping would have seen more and with higher compression bottom end i reckon 200bhp isnt out of reach, bhp per is a big thumbs down though

now i have a vr6...

2. badboi1 Forum Member

Respect, thats wicked. As I mentioned I did have high compresion pistons, similar cam setup. I also did alot of work on the iginition, adding MSD applifiers and so on. (Lots of head work to be done) Addmitedly when I dynoed the car she was running racing fuel. But I did get 198 kw(265). Normal road running conditions, and setup to run road gas, got me on about (210-198), depending on altitude. I should also mention the 265 was at see level. I know this is not the most cost effective motor build, but I have other motives. As I mentioned earlier. Please understand guys, I have no problems with turbo cars, or vr6's or 1.8t's. For me building my car is about doing something new/differant, thats all. If it takes longer, cool no problem. Building NA motors is always more expensives and more time consuming, and as quite rightly pointed out, is not always the best bang for buck, senario.

3. badboi1 Forum Member

PS what fueling system were you using? Did you have a twin racing pump setup with a swirl pot? What size injectors were you running? I have to say once again, wicked car bro, looks awesome!

4. prof Forum Addict

man i have to call bull**** on a 265bhp 8v, do you have a dyno plot? unless it was on a 75 shot of NOS

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like the South African equivalent of Stealth's dyno :)

6. badboi1 Forum Member

With all due respect, I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but do not be so ignorant as to pass judgement on my accomplishments, simply because YOU have never be able to achieve such results with an NA motor. Remember gentlemen, just because you have never been able to accomplish something does not mean it is unobtainable. Or for that matter that someone else could not achieve better!

I know my car achieved those figures, unlike you I have nothing to prove to others. I build cars for MY satisfaction, not for others.

VR6will has said that 200bhp was achievable, but he did not have the inclination to carry on. Which I can understand and respect! I do not brows the forum, looking for batteries to p$$s on. If thats your game, good for you, I have now lost total interest.

The dyno in question belonged to TRD SA. Toyotas factory racing team, so yes I guess it would be highly in accurate. The car was also set-up and mapped by them, so then again, yeah I guess it must have been a S*** job.

7. prof Forum Addict

Ok man, it is just a very high output from an 8v head, for example a Vauxhall XE motor takes a fair old bit of work to get to that level and it already has a huge headstart on an 8v head. So when someone comes along saying they have that kind of output, then it is often a 14 yr old posting on his Dad's computer

Carry on the good work

Just out of interest, what did it cost you? 10k?

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bwahahahahahahahaaha

stealth's dyno is legendary

9. badboi1 Forum Member

Ok fine, no problem.

This motor took a shed load to build prof, and it was not just a case of bolting on itb's and hoping for the best. There was over two weeks work in the heads alone. That was handled by friends of mine at TRD, So I do not know what they did exactly. I know it was running a schrick 328 cam though with vernia pulley setup etc. The valves were changed obviously and so on. When the car ran on their dyno it was running their racing fuel, which is some mixture of tri-nitro toluene and some other goodies.

I did say, when the car was setup for road fuel it was running 210 at the coast, and about 198 at altitude. I have to admit I did the physical asembley of the long block, I did not do the head work. The final and finishing touches were added by TRD. Everything from itake runners to exhuast manifold and system was made by them. It was all one off stuff. So I can assure you this motor was very expensive. Not to buy, but the cost of fabrication. SO the cost was R86 780.00 which currently in pounds is 6428.15 thats just motor costs. Not including the car. I did mention that they are expensive to build. The end product is well worth it though. I dont care if it takes me a while to build it again. Even if I have to get parts made and shipped here Ill do it. Its about passion after all. I mean I am sure thats why we are all here isn't?

Regards

Peter

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

christ, i wouldnt mind custom made manifolds etc.

got a gallery of pics of the work?

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It must be some MAD, fancy engine if it runs on high explosive. Using TNT is a little extreme, don't you think?;) :lol:

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

haha... i saw toluene as i skim read it lol

isnt nitro methanole a kissing cousin of tnt? they put it in dragsters right? lol

13. badboi1 Forum Member

Their work was incredible, I do have pics but they are back home, I have already asked a friend to email me some of his. The thing is, in SA It is very hard to come by performance parts so 90% of the time people have to make, or get parts made. Most tuned cars in SA have custom exhuast/ manifolds. There is no smog/ polution regs on cars. So you can run exhuasts with no cats. It is such a blessing! The only thing they get shirty about is the sound, but as long as it is not to bad, you can usualy get away with it.

14. badboi1 Forum Member

Yeah sorry my mistake! hehehehehe I was thinking of an application at work when posting goes to show!

It was some mixture of racing fuel and toluene. Not tri nitro toluen! my mistke!

hehehehe

15. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nitromethane. At least it's a liquid, TNT would be a bit difficult to squeeze out of the injectors.......

16. VR6Will Forum Member

You sure about that Schrick cam, the biggest i could find was 320.

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Rereading it, it does seem like a mentally high power figure for an 8v though, rgardless of who mapped it! I'd be interested to see the dyno sheet, if you have a scanner!

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

An ABA I'd think. 115hp factory rating, the yanks are mad keen on sticking them in everything.

19. badboi1 Forum Member

Yup thats right. I am no fuel expert, but lets just it burns reeeeeaaaall good ;)

20. badboi1 Forum Member

AS I said, I am pretty sure it was a 328, but I did not build the head. So you good be right, it might have been a 320. I can't argue that point.