2.0L carburettor swap turned to a nightmare.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Antoinebjdh, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Antoinebjdh New Member

hello everyone, i come here seeking your expertise!

last week i decided to finally swap my 1.8 carb engine with a 2.0 8v i got from an Audi 80 B4.
    for context my car firstly a manual which was then swapped with an automatic and last qeek i also got a manual swap. I have a peirburg carb which for the record doesnt have any of the vacuum lines or any of the electrical parts working but managed to get me through 5 years of driving with the occasional throttle getting stuck which usually was resolved by blipping the gas pedal.

anyway when i got done with the swap last week the mechanic told me that there was no way to mount the gas pump on the engine and told me to get an electric gas pump(which looks like a metal gas filter) and mount it in the engine bay which for the first 2 days of driving worked(i dont know if its relevant but he dint remount the vacuum box which looks like a green ball). only thing that happened was that when i was going fast uphill (3rd or 4th wit 3000+ rpm) the car would jitter but i didnt give it any thought, however yesterday my car was making all sorts of popping noises when i drove downhill(2nd, not stepping on the gas) and wanted to stall, and on my way home the car just completely shut off and wouldnt start and when i tried to start it, the engine bay spit a small cloud of white smoke and the pump overheated.

i got it running today and the same symptoms came back, backfiring, wanted to stall but when i put it in neutral and gave it gas or a second or 2 it worked fine and when it stalled i looked at the carb where it seemed to have spit fuel out of the carb and onto the exhaust manifold. im not sure if this is technically flooding. someone told me that this is because my carbs 2nd weber doesnt open...

now im making a special plate to remount the old mechanical pump on the engine but im worried that this wouldnt solve my carb problems which were never present before i got the new engine and the new pump..

any help or tips would be much appreciated.
    thanks!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Antoinebjdh New Member

hi rubjonny, thank you for your reply, yes the return the swirl pot it still mounted on the front of the head.
    i think that you may be right regarding the fuel pump pressure, i got the old pump mounted on the new engine today, upon first inspection the car appears to be working fine, however i didnt drive it on the highway yet. moreover the engine seems to be running badly, some rattling sound maybe due to bad timing im not sure and the car is still idling relatively high. further testing is still needed to assess whether the car would run better on the highway/ the carb wont flood anymore.
    ill update the thread once i drive it home tonight

4. Antoinebjdh New Member

update: the
    update: the manual pump from the 1.8v engine worked great, all issues regarding flooding were resolved by changing the pump although i should mention that i did clean the carb.