2.0l into my 1.8 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jimyrodger, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jimyrodger New Member

I have just got my self a 1.8 16v mk2 and iv seen quite a few people talking about putting a 2.0l block in one. i wish to do the same. but i would like to know what engine will go in my mk2, a 2.0l from a mk3?. and will i need a different head or any work done to it. would i need a different exhaust manifold, ect. i would love to get about 170 bhp out of it, so would the 2.0l, wur, cam upgrade, fancy exhaust and getting it set up properly achieve this. cheeper the better. i would love to hear ur opinions and also stories of similar work done to mk2 16v's. thank u:thumbup:

2. mk2bal Forum Member

I put an abf (mk3 2.0 16v) in my 1.8 16v using all kjet setup from the 1.8, so you can just drop in an engine from rocker cover to sump with no ancillaries, to save swapping just a bottom end say.. Mines been r/r setup, no wur adjustment was made, and it made 160bhp (dyno lottery). if money and time was no problem then buy a complete donor mk3 car, and if your mk2 is a late one swap all the mk3 management over as well. If you want cheap and quick just buy the abf engine and run it on kjet. I'm now in 2 minds wether to get a decent head, exhaust and cams maybe for the 2.0, or rip it all out and 20vt it for a serious power upgrade..??

3. jimyrodger New Member

cool, that sounds good. no f**cking about just a straight swap. does the 2.0l add much weight, i would imagen that the weight gain would be small enough not to effect the handling. what about gear box, will the old one still bolt on to the 2.0l?
    in reference to ur mk2. if u have the know how and the money, the 20v t would have to be the only choice. thanks for the feedback mate.

4. Fray16v Forum Member

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

6. jimyrodger New Member

thanks for the links lads. the step by step guid will help me loads
    i cant wait to get it on the road:thumbup: