2.0ltr 16v on twin 45s vacuum to ecu and brakes?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by tuckshop, Jul 12, 2012.

1. tuckshop Forum Member

hi
    i have a mk1 golf with a corrado 2.0ltr 16v, i have put twin 45s on. it runs (not well i might add)
    i spoke to a guy that was going to do the setting up and tuning etc. while chatting about the car and setup he told me about the vacuum to the brakes only running of of one port. this makes sense that it wont be enough for the brakes to work well and now they dont! he mentioned getting a vacuum pump for it??
    we also spoke about the vacuum for the ecu running of one port and that it needs to run off them all and that if it runs off of one it will throw the timing out?

any advice as now im think of just selling the whole carb setup and putting on the k jet/ke jet again.

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

take it to somebody who knows what there talking about,if you do a search you will find most cars run this setup with no problems.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

twin carbs need an initial balance adjustment or they run like crap regardless of jetting

4. tuckshop Forum Member

ive had them balanced, made a difference my main worry its the timing and brake servo vacuum.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My ABF on TB's (purchased as is) has a copper pipe with four inputs and one output to feed all vacuum related points. Done cheaply but effectively using copper plumbing stuff

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

What ignition control have you got on there? Still running the ECU?

Sometimes folk stick the std 16v dizzy on without an ECU, and don't realise that it doesn't have any sort of advance curve in it. In that case the car will never run right.

7. tuckshop Forum Member

im still running the ecu

8. tuckshop Forum Member

i have seen this done but with an alloy pipe welded in. is this enough vacuum for the brake servo as normaly carb engines would have a vacuum resivior or is it just for the ecu?

9. tuckshop Forum Member

i see that a 1.6 diesel vacuum pump will fit in my engine so i could use that for the brakes?

10. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

I ran my 1.8 KR & 2.0 ABF on Dell 45's with the original TCI contoller (ECU) to start with and Vac pipe to one inlet, this was in my track only Jetta and had no problems at all with either brakes or ignition advance, the ignition vac pipe plumbs into the brake vac pipe behing the engine near to the bulkhead.

Now uses Omex 200 ECU and no dizzy on wasted spark.

Get it set up by someone with a Dyno (Rolling road).

11. tuckshop Forum Member

ok thats what i thought but the guy that was going to set it up mentioned about the vac... hes done a few of this setup on his rolling road and he was recommended to me by webcom.

12. Cammyg60

Cammyg60 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello all, this is an old post I know but the only topic I can find with any relevance toi my problem.

I have a mk1 clipper running on a 2ltr 16v 9a - fitted with weber 45's. This is not running on ECU and I'm having a nightmare with the ignition.

At the moment it has (I think!!) a standard distributor from the 9a and it runs awful - no advance on ignition then.....and the distributor cap fown on the brake servo.

So, can anyone give me some help here. What typre of distributor do I need? Centrifugal / vacuum but from what car do I need to source this? And a side entry cap would be needed to avoid fowling on the brake servo.

Please help!!

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Some of the MK1 16v guys sould be able to help on the cap. depends on the dizzy base, if it is a screw cap or clip type. Screw base means you can use an ABF cap.
    Short of fitting mappable ignition, perhaps you should fit a KR ignition ECU to get around the lack of some sort of ignition advance.
    You will have to tap two vacuum points from 2 of the carb runners to give an ok manifold signal though.

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I have some pictures of a dizzy cap that may clear
    You have to 180 the distributor
    I'll see if I can find the link
    Also has the abf info that John added as well

15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

16. Barker44 Forum Member

Sorry hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread... I'm currently setting up a 2045 16v with lairy cams and stage 3 head.. Not that this matters much but I'm just trying to put together a rough idea of setup with 45's

I won't be running a vacuum to the servo as if a pedal box and running an omex 200 system with distributerless ignition.. Do I still need to run a vacuum to the ecu? And will this be best run off a 4 ports? Also has anyone any rough guides for fuel/air and jets and such like... Sorry about the lingo.. Uv not touched carbs for quite some time...

17. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Why not go for itb setup? Or do you have the 45s already?

18. Barker44 Forum Member

Id be happy to go that was if there were any for sale... Got the full Webber setup from a 1.8 16v track car..

19. Cammyg60

Alright guys cheers for the info there...

Question though, a KR or ABF distributor won't have vacuum / mechanical centrifugal advance timing though will it? Advance is controlled through the ECU?

I do have a KR ECU and wiring in my garage although no idea what would be involved with wiring this in.

Maybe the way ahead with this is a stand alone ignition system....but then which one!

20. Cammyg60

Cheers for the link, side entry cap looks ideal, as you say just flip it 180 deg - and yeh i have the clip type cap.