2.8 24v vr6 lamda

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by afbiker02, Jun 23, 2023.

1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

So when I did my engine swap back in 2018 I used a vr6 from a US spec mk4 Jetta (bora) and when I did the exhaust and lamda there was only one. I recently bought a trackslag down pipe and full exhaust and the down pipe has 2 lambs port. How hard is it to add a second lamda sensor?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

"Trackslag" products are based on the UK market and UK market modified cars. So all MK2s with 24v engines, will be AUE, AQP, BDE or any of the 3.2 24v. They all run on a stereo lambda system.
    The same with the dubnutz manifold I run on my 2.8 24v MK2.
    Your USDM ME7.1.1 ECU, seems to have been designed to run on 1 sensor and not a stereo systems like EU ECUs. So ideally needs to be fitted where the exhaust pipe is 1.
    You cannot add two sensors, unless you run a EU 022906032BG ECU and add the fly leads to the loom. Not required though as you have a working system.

afbiker02 and PhilRyder like this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Adlai,
    Slight hijack, is our ECU set up for twin lambda or should we just fit one and blank the other?
    Thank, Phil

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From factory it would have had both sensors. Pre cat and post cat.

You’d need sensor 2 mapped out if you plan to leave it out and put the bung in.

5. PhilRyder

Post cat is mapped out. I’m asking about the second lambda before the cat. The downpipe has provision for two sensors, one for each manifold.

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes of course, I wasn’t really thinking, I had barely woken up!

PhilRyder likes this.
  7. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

So if I were to get a UK ecu I would have to add the lead for the second lamda sensor, plus have the ecu “coded” to my mk2, is that right? I think I’ll just have my new down pipe modded. Thanks for the help guys

8. Toyotec

You must use the both front sensors, black connection for cylinders 1,2,3, brown connection for 4,5,6 on EU 022906032BG/FA/DP/CP ECUs.
    On special applications, like my 3.2T I run a special patch to make the UEGO lambda feedback mono. But that is beyond this post.

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. Toyotec

Send me a picture of your ECUs part number, or even better yet pop around for me to look at the car and get a back up of the calibration, so you can choose the best cost effective method.
    It is pretty costly to buy an EU BDE or EU TT 8N V6 or EU MK4 R32 ECU and does not change what I have to do to control combustion, if your USDM ECU is accessible.
    The biggest restriction for the 24v engines is the mounting flange on the downpipe. Saying that, I have tuned them with the standard system and you would be hard-pressed to rate the difference in aggressiveness on the road.
    Leave as it and I will see what can be done.

afbiker02 likes this.
  10. Toyotec

FYI EU EA390 ME7.1.1 ECUs have lambda 4 sensors, with a pair of LSU UEGO pre cat and a pair of LSF binary sensors post cat.

Some USDM cars only a single branch of sensors, 1 pre cat and 1 post cat.

It is not something I would expect all to know, unless you deal with the ECUs on a regular basis.

afbiker02 likes this.
  11. PhilRyder

Thanks Mate, very helpful :thumbup: