2000 VW golf 2.0 not starting, alarm set off

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Bethany, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Bethany New Member

So I just bought it and let me tell you how things went down hill.
    First I put a new battery in which reset the alarm system and I was trying to figure out how to disable it. So I unplugged a few fuses according to the chart mostly just fuses 6,14 and 38 which are alarm controls in there. That didn't get the alarm to shut off (14 did) then I inspected the driver's side door which was stuck on open and not locked. I discovered the latch doesn't move when you manually push down on the lock it's covered in gunk so I cleaned it and moved it to the lock position and back to the unlocked position that seemed fine now but didn't fix the alarm system going off when I try to start the car. (Poor neighbors had to listen to it)
    I foolishly pulled fuse 14 while the battery was plugged in and it blew, so did a few other fuses and I replaced them. Found a few other fuses blown but will replace them soon. Is there anyway the clicking I hear when I try to start it is coming from a bad starter or is it fuses (which are getting replaced tomorrow)? Also how can I stop the alarm from going off? Just keep fuse 14 out?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the car wont even turn over on the starter its not down to any of the fuses in the internal fusebox, as the cranking live feed comes direct from the ignition switch. Have you tried a jump start, perhaps the battery is very flat. if the alarm system is playing up this will put a drain on the system, also if fuses are blown/pulled for the ccm module it can increase the drain as I found out on mine.

assumign its a factory alarm then first thing is match key fobs to it so you can switch it off properly, the owners manual actually has the procedure to match new fobs to the alarm system if you happen to have it still. then start diagnosing the system from there with vagcom.

3. Bethany New Member

Update, and thanks for the reply.
    So I took all the fuses out and replaced all of the blown fuses which was practically all of them. Now the alarm doesn't go off at all if I hold the key in the ignition to on but not running. I was about to turn it all the way with out the alarm going off but was unable to start it. No crank and lights disappear on the dash when I turn it all the way.
    I am going to clean the wires and battery hook up with a brush tomorrow or soon because there is corrosion everywhere.
    Even on the wires.
    I'll keep updated on this post because people need ideas and answers and most of the post I see on here no one post the outcome so I'll be back tomorrow or so.
    So far no alarm.
    #progress

4. rubjonny

sounds liek either battery is very flat or as you say corrosion on battery/box/main cables, fingers crossed it'll be an easy fix!

Bethany likes this.
  5. Bethany New Member

Update I took a wire brush to the terminal wires on the battery and cleaned it up and now the car starts perfect nothing shows up on the dash no alarm the alarm is completely off all is good

6. rubjonny

Awesome sauce :)