2001 Impreza seats into a mk2?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Mk2matt, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mk2matt

Mk2matt Forum Member

Anyone attempted to put Impreza WRX seats into a mk2? Been offered some 2001 seats in excellent condition but not sure how much of a fabrication job it would need.
    Cheers, Matt.

2. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

I have previously manage to fit a pair of lovely base-mounted alcantara Evo 8 Recaros into my Mk2. Used Corbeau Mk1/2 sliding subframes and made up a couple of 6mm thick adaptor cross-beams to accomodate the slightly different bolt spacing on the bottom of the seat relative to the subframe. Seat height ended up being just right for me, although definitely something to think about.

That said...what subframe were you planning to use? I'd suggest that this will determine how easy/difficult your install will be.

3. Mk2matt

Mk2matt Forum Member

To be honest I've not seen the Subaru seat bases yet so not sure as to what subframes would be the best. I presume the best way would be to weld 2 box section steel pieces to span the inner sill and transmission tunnel and hopefully be able to bolt down the standard runners on to these?

4. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Yep, if you can weld then you're in a good position to tackle this! I can't weld, but had some Mk1/2 Corbeau subframes and can use a drill ;)

Good luck - make sure to post up some photos when you're done.

5. The_Teller Forum Member

I'm running WRX seats in my mk2.
    Welded on the mk2 frames then as I'm a big fella I've modified them further dropping height 2.5" plus strengthening....... Now with a lid on my head is not poking out the roof!

Be warned it is a tight fit with the bases being wider than the standard mk2 seats. I've had to switch the seat belt latch bases to fabric webbing and not a fix arm to clear transmission tunnel.

I'll post a few pics if you like??