2001 passat 1.8T noisy gearbox

Discussion in 'Passat' started by peddy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. peddy New Member

Help,

Can anyone advise on my noisy gearbox.My passat has developed an annoying whine when you rev it out of gear and this noise persists when accelerating through gears ?the car has only covered 39000 miles from new is this a common fault ? [:s]

Regards Peddy .

2. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

It all depends what sort of whine you have, my Passat 1.8t does whine a little but nothing i would be conserned about.
    The model of gearbox in the Passat has been around for a while and there was a batch that were fitted to early A4's that ran there bearings. I had a 1990 Audi 100 which has the same box that ran the bearings at about 40000 miles. I had it rebuilt by Audi as the preload on these box's is quite critical and the bearing are not available aftermarket. It cost me 500 to get it done and nearly 300 was the cost of the bearings. A fresh box has so much preload on the bearings that is not possible to turn the input shaft by hand.
    If you are worried about the whine i would take it to someone who has experience with gearbox's and get then to listen to it or just run the car for a few more miles and see if the whine gets worse.
    When I took my box out of the 100 I took it apart to see the condition of the end casing bearings, even though it was very noisy the case harding had only just started to break up on the bearing surface, so it would have probably ran for a few miles more but i couldn't put up with the noise it made..