2003 1.8t ???

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by BlownGSR, Jan 3, 2004.

1. BlownGSR New Member

Hello everyone-
    im new here and just a quick question, im used to working on Honda's and have just a little experience in german autos. my wife has a 2003 GTI 1.8t and i wanted to put a BOV (blow-off valve) on it but she is argueing saying she was instructed not to. can anyone explain why this would be a problem or should i use an external wastegate??? any help would be greatlly appreciated.

2. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Better to use an uprated (metal) re-circulating valve on them as I think the standard one's are made of plastic and wear/break easily.

I think it's to do with the fact a B.O.V lets all the air out into the atmosphere when the throttle comes off instead of the air returning to the airbox to be re-used.

"It's been said that venting into the atmosphere instead of the airbox will cause richness in the air/fuel ratio because the ECU doesn't recalculate the recirculating air"

Anyone else?
    Edited by: Mk1 Driver

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

The best one to get is the Forge Motorsport FMDV006 or FMDV007P , for the price, people usually opt for the 007.