20vT awd mk1 build and questions

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Isaac Pettit, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Isaac Pettit

Isaac Pettit Paid Member Paid Member

Can we talk about differentials?

I am looking at Gen1 vs Gen 4 Haldex differentials.

Gen 1 (B4 TT/ R32, etc) is easily the most common used. I assume there are two reasons for this. 1. It's relatively simple to convert a mk2 rear syncro beam to support the diff. and 2. There are plenty of aftermarket LSD's on the market for this differential.

Gen 4 (07-13 various VAG vehicles) is a proactive system, so no need for ABS sensor when using standalone (I believe? vs gen1 that does need it?). The way it is mounted also appeals to me since I'm making a sub frame rather than using a syncro beam.

Talking to Wilco at Dutchbuilds, he says his standalone controllers are compatible with either generation.

I don't have access to a Gen 4 w/o buying one which I don't want to do unless I'm going to use it, but it seems more compact (possibly even lighter) than the Gen1. Not that weight savings between the two is a concern either way, but the compactness is attractive.

Any thoughts? Mostly just bouncing ideas around in my head for now. Was always planning on using the Gen 1 till I discovered the standalone could control either, that got me to weighing the pros and cons.

Cheers,
    Isaac

2. Isaac Pettit

Some more pictures of some of the misc parts I've collected for the project..

Smoked Hella tails.. they're in-cracked and in decent condition, but eventually want some FIFFT ones that are smoked plastic rather than painted OEM ones
    [​IMG]IMG_2333 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

NOS US Westmoreland Deluxe grill. Between this and the short tails, the car will take on the appearance of an earlier US spec model. I prefer this over the more common round headlights. Ironically I sourced this from the UK, so it's been over the pond a time or two already, but never installed :)
    [​IMG]early westy by isaacpettit, on Flickr

BBS front air dam.. needs some adjustments and paint, but overall in good shape..
    [​IMG]FullSizeRender by isaacpettit, on Flickr
    [​IMG]image by isaacpettit, on Flickr

Real Zender 3-pcs wing..

Current seats, Recaro mk2's that have been recovered w/ leather and ultrasuede. These are out for good. Will be replaced by Recaro buckets.

INA ABF alternator kit. Only had about 50 miles on this. Sold it because I'm switching to the later series 06A block which has more aftermarket parts available.

Old and new turbo
    [​IMG]IMG_0454 by isaacpettit, on Flickr
    Forge Motorsport diverter valve

The pistons

02A/J Peloquin LSD. Sold this when I was planning to use an 02M. Might get one for the 02C, will see what's in it right now once it arrives.
    [​IMG]IMG_3686 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

AEB longblock. Will only use the head.
    [​IMG]AEB longblock by isaacpettit, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_0455 by isaacpettit, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_0448 by isaacpettit, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_0439 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

Have all the paperwork, 0mile engine from the dealer

erreesse and Sirguydo like this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Issac, are you planning to race this car again? Or building a unique road toy?

4. Isaac Pettit

Good question Eddie!

I grew up on a mountain in the US, and the dream/ intention was always to compete in a hillclimb series. My target was always something that could hold it's own, but be driven to and from events. The US is pretty slack on modifications, so even with the planned fuel cell, where I live I wasn't concerned with limiting the build to remain street legal.

Now however, I live in Japan, which is significantly more strict. I still haven't brought the GTI over to Japan, but when I do I'm only about 30% confident that I'll be able to drive it legally on the street, and that's probably optimistic. Japan has gone from one extreme to another with regard to modifying street cars, and currently they're very rigid. So.. for the time being, I'm building the car how I always wanted, and I'll figure out the legal implications later :)

As far as track use, that is definitely in the plan. This car ran mid 12's in the 1/4 before, I'd like to be able to run somewhere in the 11's this time around. That being said, this isn't a drag car. I plan to compete in some enthusiast class events with it here, but I'm also not looking to kill it for a season and then rebuild it. That's perhaps why I'm looking to build a platform that is very capable, and run it under it's max performance. If I know the gearbox is likely to let go above a certain power threshold, then I'll limit power to prevent it... at least that is the plan for now. Not sure if that answers your question or not. Basically my living situation has thrown a bit of a wrench in the whole process, but has forced me to take my time, collect the right parts, and do the research to build the best setup for my goals.

Appreciate all the help fellas!
    Isaac

HPR likes this.
  5. Isaac Pettit

The gearbox is finally on it's way. Any recommendations for Clutch/ FW setup? I have been leaning towards something from CM ( http://www.clutchmasters.com/1989-1992-1-8l-supercharged-g60/ ) having had mixed experiences with SPEC. Ideally I want to find a balance between quick spool and limited chatter for when driving on the street.

Also had planned to run one of CAE's "underfloor" shifters ( http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index.php?a=230&lang=eng ) but their US distributor keeps telling me they don't have one that will work w/ my setup. Basically it only needs to be compatible w/ the gearbox, as the center tunnel of the car will be modified anyway, so mounting it won't be an issue. Can anyone confirm which of their cables I would need to use the 02C w/ 6-speed VWM gear kit?

Thanks,
    Isaac

6. Isaac Pettit

Happy New Year to all you guys!

The parts pile is coming together a bit.

My gearbox FINALLY arrived a few days after Christmas. UPS had lost it for about 3 weeks and when I finally tracked it down they had made a major mess of the box it was in and the gear selector was broken. I'll be upgrading it to billet anyway. Curious if there are steel or upgraded shift forks available for the 02C/ Gemini boxes?

Also thanks for Issam at INA I now have the 02c/ Haldex Octavia angle drive so I can use my VWMS 02C with a Haldex rear differential.

Got a bunch of parts in from Integrated Engineering:
    Tuscan riffle drilled rods, manual tensioner kit, timing gear kit and crankshaft sensor trigger wheel for the 2.1L setup.. so pretty much have my bottom end parts gathered.

Also got a low mileage AEB head which I'll build out while I run my new stock AEB head to break in the block, then swap out down the road.

Didn't have much time to work on the car while I was back in the states but managed to finish pulling the entire harness and will send it as a core to be redone before going back in.

Cheers,
    Isaac

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

This is looking like the best build for 2018.

Isaac Pettit likes this.
  8. Isaac Pettit

Cheers mate! We're still a long ways from the finish line

9. Isaac Pettit

Progress has been slow but still moving forward. I should have the 2.1L engine built and ready to bolt in within the next few months pending machine shop's work load.

Stuck on intake manifold decision. After *more research and discussion with a few people who have dyno and track tested all the options, I decided against the previous 2 versions I was considering (WRC and Integrated Engineering). The SEM Motorsports unit is the pound for pound winner of anything readily available. However, I've also been in discussion with Simon at Reverie UK about their Fontana 65X plenum. He's been extremely helpful and I am leaning towards having them build me a plenum that would be mated to some custom intake runners.

Although it has given (forced) me to take my time doing research for the best setup for my intended use, I greatly miss being able to work on the car while I'm out of the country.. I will be back in the states in July and hope to have a decent update for anyone still interested.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  10. Isaac Pettit

11. Isaac Pettit

Update: hard to believe how quickly the time goes. Coming up on 2 years the gearbox has been at the shop. Engine is not built but that is a goal for 2020.

Picked up some parts for it:
    Carbon rear hatch, very light, probably under 5lbs as it is.
    [​IMG]Untitled by isaacpettit, on Flickr

FIFFT black tails to replace the smoked Hella ones.

Happich/ Vestatec front spoiler as another option to the BBS unit.

ADR inlet manifold for the new setup. Apparently there is both a small and large port ADR code engine head, so be careful you buy the right one! I didn't realize and bought a small port by accident. Lesson Learned!

Early grill from the Westmoreland plant near where I was born in the 80's

Quaife ATB LSD fitted along with a lower bearing girdle. Some other bits into the gearbox as well. And picked up a quick rack from Quaife as well.

Journals on the crank look pretty good. Needs to be modded for the gas motor still but should work, was a low mile engine it came out of.

Everyone likes some old school VWMS goodies now and then

Cheers,
    Isaac

erreesse likes this.
  12. KENT! Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely stuff!

Where did you get to with the gen 1 v gen 4 haldex considerations? You'd of thought newer is better but is it really? I dont know the differences between the generations.

13. Isaac Pettit

I am still weighing my options. The newer technology has it's advantages. The Gen4 can be programmed to be proactive as opposed to reactive, which is an advantage in theory, but the Gen5 and later use a rotary pump to control the pressure which has some issues/ failures. The Gen4 seems to be the sweet spot in terms of newer technology but trouble shot and got the bugs sorted out. The Gen1 however does have LSD options readily available whereas the Gen4 I believe does not, certainly not as many. I asked Quaife if they had one for the Gen4 and they gave me the part number for the Gen1, which I'm quite sure will not work.