20vt engine - whats this sensor do?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by richgit, Oct 8, 2005.

1. richgit Forum Junkie

Just been *tidying* more of my conversion from last year, took the inlet manifold off for polishing. Noticed two sensors bolted underneath the inlet manifold. The one with a red arrow apparently is the original sensor, and the one in yellow is the one designadubs used because im using DTA management. The vacuum pipe coming out the centre of the sensor on the left loops into the inlet manifold.

Pic of the sensors

Question is...
    1) what are these sensors?
    2) Obviously there is absolutely no point in the redundant sensor on the right, but where does the thin braided line run to, and can I just disconnect it and plug it wherever it runs to, as it seems to be doing nothing? [:[]
    Edited by: richgit

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

any part numbers rich?

3. veedubber Forum Member

The one with the yellow arrow is the map sensor that you use with your DTA, it detects the boost pressure from the vacuum pipe that comes off it. You want to make sure that is secured safely so it doesn't flap around.

As for the other one, i'm not to sure. Could be the same sort of thing.

stef

4. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

I cant remember mine looking like that but the one with the braided line is for the EGT,it goes to the turbo exhaust housing and is not needed when ur running DTA.

5. Rallye Forum Junkie

yeah braided line one looks like the EGT (exhaust gas temp)

6. zootbrains Forum Member

Got the same problem on mine, does that mean I can just unscrew that braided line from the back of the turbo? Or would it then leak air out of that hole? Or is it best to just chop the wire frmo the back of the turbo (which would be a bit of a bodge)...

7. Rallye Forum Junkie

well it would leave a hole if u just unscrewed the sensor