2e 8v to 16v swap

Discussion in '8-valve' started by godvw2, Sep 22, 2008.

1. godvw2 Forum Member

hi i have a mk1 2l 8v code 2e i also have a brand new 16v head dizzy 4 branch and leads i was going to put this on my 18 gti dx but was told it was a waste of time because the compression is to low will this be the same case for the 2l 8v i am running motor bike carbs so no injection and i have got the 16v ecu if needed many thanks for any help lee

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yes all 8v blocks, when mated with a 16v head give low compression, and damaged valves

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need a 16v bottom end. You can convert an 8v one over, but it would take money and lots of time.

If you have a brand new 16v head, I'm sure that could easily be sold to help fund an engine.

4. godvw2 Forum Member

can i just replace the 8v pistons with 16 v pistons many thanks

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

No... if it was that easy we'd have said so.

You also need (from memory, so probably not 100%) to change the oil pump, intermediate shaft(?), cambelt(3 off) and other belt pulleys, block off the dizzy hole, and probably more.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mike covered all the other bits that need swapping. after all that expense you could have bought a 16v bottom end, they aint spensive.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008