2E block purchased

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JIMMY GTI, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

i just bought a 2E bottom end, complete with dizzy etc. while its out of car im going to clean and paint it etc.

what seals/parts etc should i change? what prices am i looking at?
    im thinkin of getting flywheel lightened, is it worth doing and how much will it cost?

2. SimonG Forum Member

I'd change all gaskets and all the seals while you have the chance. It's easier doing some while the engine is out. For the sake of a few quid, do it right first time. GSF list gaskets and seals etc on their website. I think bottom end sets are available to which might work out cheaper.

3. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

got my ady stripped and on the bench, looking quite sexy in satin black engine paint if I do say so myself [:D]

cheers simon, I didn't know gsf did bottom end gasket kits so that'll save me a fair lump of hasstle, will order tommorrow as its free p&p at the moment.

4. gti-8v Forum Member

Could be an idea to replace engine mounts if you are still on the original OEM items.
    Give those CV boots a good flex too - mine looked fine, but once they were back on the car laying at an angle, I could see some wear.

Also if you need to do any TLC in the engine bay, now is the time....touch up any rust/ general tidy/ cleanup. Make sure the top of the firewall is tidy (sound proofing/ heat protection) cos once the engine goes in there will be minimum room behind the inlet manifold unless your installing a crossflow.

Hope it helps ;)

5. mk28vICED Forum Member

new water pump i would say, obviously 2e timing belt and a tensioner, metal head gasket new rocker cover gasket , inlet and exhaust gaskets and copper exhaust nuts.
    give the exhaust manifold/downpipe a good checking over, my original 8v manifold and downpipe 6 bolts had all rusted together so i just left it all together and now 10 months later its blowing.
    get a new dizzy cap and rotor arm too.
    if your lucky you will have an old genuine vw waterpump otherwise its over
    30 surcharge and about 32 for the pump. take the pulley off you will need it on the new one! are you using mk2 or mk3 ancillaries????

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  6. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

just called about mine and they dont list a bottom end kit except for the vr6. not much use to us I'm afraid.

also if you have any queries like "is bolt x a stretch? do I replace it" they dont know nor will they know howmany of what you need.... unless it was just the mail order mong I spoke to... :lol: