2E oil loss - low oil pressure & knocking (video)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jmsheahan, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

It's wired in already RJ - idle is around 1 bar but can't remember any other readings off of the top of my head.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh i see, well 1bar is fine so unlikely to be that. maybe if it was uber high it could be forcing oil past seals but in thiscase all is well :(

have you noticed any oil coming out the back? cos mine spurted a fair bit out the tailpipe

3. danster Forum Addict

It is not running rich is it? Fuel pressure reg vac line connected so it dumps fuel pressure on the overun?

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

4-5 bar when first started, then once up to temp it sits at 1 bar. Anywhere between 2-5 bar when driving (usually between 2-4). No oil coming from the tailpipe but the exhaust is always quite sooty.

Was it splutting because of blown rings or stem seals RJ?

Yes it probs is running a tad rich as it pops on over run on the downshifts a little. As above, exhaust is sooty which I'm unsure as to whether it's burnt oil or fuel (not wet). Timing is spot on at 6 degrees but the CO screw had to be wound right in. Seemed minimal adjustment there.

Oil temp has always been quite warm (100-110) on normal driving although this was like it on the old engine too. External cooler has helped bring temps down.

Put everything back as it came off with regards to the vacuum lines however unsure which one you mean Danster. This is the bay if it's any help and you can spot it?

[​IMG]

5. rubjonny

was a duff stem seal, and i mean really duff! you could tell as the exhaust port was thick with black oily crud on that cylinder. engine is now in another car with a good head and all is well again!

your oil pressures are fine, though im wondering if the breathers need replumbing? usually the block breather goes to the pcv, then to the inlet, the 2.0 pcv has 2 connections on it as well but im not sure if any of that will effect the oil consumption tbh.

what i would do to rule it out is cap off the breather on the inlet and pipe your breathers to a bottle, no need to be anything special just lash up summat dodgy like i did for a week, note pipe is not sealed to bottle lid just poked in so it can still breath. the inlet pipe was blocked with an old mirror adjuster knob, perfect fit :lol:

looks rubbish but fine if you just want to test your breathers for significant oil loss for a couple days:
    [​IMG]

6. rubjonny

oh and when plumbing in the mk3 breather system + mk3 rocker cover what I do is swap the isv and breather pipes round, then use a short plastic connector pipe direct into the inlet boot. mine was cut off a mk3! then all the breather pipes are oem mk3, but use the later plastic tube as found on the AGG/ADY as it wont split, new upper section from vw or scrappy if you can find a good one.

ends up like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rubjonny

oh! and the oil loss only started when i changed the head, wasnt to do with the breathers being hooked up as above. was perfect for months till i decided to mess with it trying to 'upgrade' :lol:

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks RJ, some great info there. I best get myself down the scrappy to do the re-routing then and copy that setup. I have a 2.0 PCV kicking around somewhere. Would my current setup pos cause incorrect breathing then?

Sorry for the newb question but which pipe am I putting into the home made catch can? 1, 2 or 3? Failing that I better wait until I can copy your setup.

[​IMG]

9. rubjonny

im not convinced how you have done it will effect anything really, since the k-jet doesn't even have a pcv valve between the rocker and the inlet. just a random idea to try before you start stripping the block!

you need to block off the inlet elbow fitting at 3, and pop the pipe 1 into a bottle or something. see how heavy it breathes plus if it chucks out loads of oil vapour. you will see a fair bit of breathing and oil/water buildup in your tube especially if you rev the car, but if its excessive then its a sigh the rings arnt as healthy as they could be :)

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Spot on, cheers RJ :thumbup:

Will report back. One last thing, if I block number 3 does it matter about the open pipe to the ISV or do I need to block that off too?

11. rubjonny

ah wait! sorry didnt look closely enough at your pic :lol:

leave the isv pipework alone for now. unplug pipe #1 from the inlet and cap the inlet hole off to prevent an air leak. then re-route pipe #1 into your bottle/catch tank :)

12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers :lol:

Just had a failed scrappy visit for hoses(all the GTI's were pretty stripped) but I'll set up the catch tank tomorrow.

13. MK21800 Forum Member

Why would it be that cylinder 3 is the only one where the results changed very slightly when hot? Has that got any relevance? Or is that normal?

14. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Right then, set up a ghetto catch can yesterday and been running it about since. Done around 50-60 miles of mixed driving with this setup (excuse the lack of finesse :lol:):

[​IMG]

Not a drop in the catch can. Any thoughts?

I did notice the exhaust pop on over run is significantly better so must have had a small air leak.

RJ - I don't suppose you have any spare hoses in your collection you'd be willing to sell do you? Went to the scrappy today to grab the necessary parts but failed. The 2 connector boot for the PCV is different despite being from an AGG and also I couldn't find the rubber hose from the block breather up to the PCV (what did you get this off of?). I got a plastic one but it won't fit with the Mk2 gear - alternator gets in the way.

Thanks

15. rubjonny

the later mk3 2.0 front block breather pipe is what you want as its plastic so wont go soft, then its just a short section from there to the pcv/inlet. i just pinched a big pile of hoses and got to work! i sold off all my spare pipes a while ago at an autojumble, tho i think one day im gonna regret that :lol:

you need the pcv off a mk3 2.0 8v as well as they have the double connection on it, the one you have there is a mk2 one i think? you can then also get the nice tidy pcv cover from the same car to clean up the look a bit more. somehow i lost mine in the middle of the build :lol:

vw will sell you the breather hoses too, the plastic pipe is sold as a retrofit repair part for the 2e block as well :)

16. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Ta RJ,

I'll nab a mk3 inlet boot to chop up for the 'connector' next time I'm down the scrappy :lol: I'll have to butcher the plastic pipe to get it to fit around the mk2 alternator. Setone's efforts on here look similar to the layout I currently have.

Back to the catch can, if it's empty I'm assuming that's a good thing? Was thinking about something theboymike mentioned a while ago earlier - crankcase vacuum. Checked and no back pressure from the dip stick with the car cold or hot. Only a noticeable vacuum escape from the oil fill hole when cold, not when hot.

17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If you still have that ISV pipe in your garage I'm totally taking it next time I come to visit!

18. rubjonny

it went with the engine! its nothing special its just the std mk2 digi isv hose cut in a strategic location.

hmm, something isnt right there chap, you should have a bit of +ve pressure in the crank case! can you take the crank pipe off the pcv and see if you have pressure there? on mine it would spit a bit o crap out the pcv when revving it with the breather off, most annoying when trying to set the car up :lol:

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

There's a little pressure there with the crank pipe disconnected RJ, obviously the car runs like a dog with it disconnected due to a massive airleak. No spits of oil when revving the car though (oil was up to temp) [:[]

Did manage to fit the mk3 breather pipe in though - it's bloody close to the alternator but it will fit, just :lol:. I'll get the mk3 alternator setup one day. As soon as my mk3 inlet boot shows up I'll hack it up and get the correct breather setup sorted finally. At least that can be ruled out then!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rubjonny

i meant check for pressure from the breather pipe, i.e. in your bottom pic the back pipe off the pcv. leave the inlet blocked up :)

looking better already :thumbup: