2e2 help please !

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Momosan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Momosan New Member

Ive read the FAQ but cant seem to lock down the problem with the car :(

In the mornings, the car will misfire really bad, sounds like its a v8 with a crazy cam. Sounds like inlet pre heater is not working ?

As soon as its got warmish it behaves fine and drives perfect all day long.

The autochoke is getting warm so its not a bloked channel, its had a new relay for the carb (for the pre heater ?), and the waxstat was changed last year.

The relay used to make a clicking sound inside the car, thats why it was changed.

I have checked all the wiring and it all seems intact.

Do the temp sensors affect the inlet pre heater at all ?

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Them carbs are a B i t c h [:x] Bin it fit a Weber ;)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

only warm? the autochoke should be pretty boiling, same temp as the hose on the side of the head pretty much. the 2 switches on the front of the head are for the autochoke and inlet heaters yeah, they dont have that much effect really the autochoke one would have more effect on the engine running the inlet one is just there to help prevent icing

4. Momosan New Member

Forgot to say, the autochoke its scalding when the car is warm ! Its just while getting warm that the car runs like a pig.

5. rubjonny

thats fine then, maybe look at the carb heater to ensure thats all good as it does heat a little bit before the coolant gets it warm

6. Momosan New Member

ok mate will do thanks - do you know the best place to get sensors if I decide to renew them ? I can see a red sensor on GSF but not a grey one ?

7. rubjonny

the grey thermoswitch is NLA unfortunatly, you could use a red one just means the autochoke will be on for longer as the red cuts out at 55/65 degrees rather than 30/40 degrees for the grey. easily tested anyway multimeter across the pins and make sure it passes current cold but not when hot.

for the carb heater you disconnect the plug and check for continuity between the spade and the heater body

8. Momosan New Member

Excellent, thanks for that !

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'd tend to think this is a problem with an ignition component, not the carburettor/fuel system. Try touching the outside of the HT leads while it's misfiring. If you get a shock, you've found your problem. (Don't try this if you have a heart condition/epilepsy/other medical condition!)

10. rubjonny

try spraying a mist of water over the ignition components at night, should hopefully show up any arcing without the risk of heart failure :lol:

11. Momosan New Member

lol thanks guys, will try that ! Think I'll do the water thing 1st just in case =D

I did change the coil & stater motor earlier this year. Makes sence that moisture might be affecting it since when I drive it home after work the problem isnt as consistant.