2L 16v Battery Ratings...mk2 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by chrismc, Jun 21, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Just wondered what batteries all you fellows had to turn over your valvers? [:s]

My Bosch Silver (50Ah) seems to have died, despite being no more than 2 years old [:^(]

Just wondering if 50Ah is a bit weedy for a 2L seeing as ECP list Bosch batteries with 55,60,66,72 & 88Ah ratings??
    [:[]

I dont think it helps that the DTA system seems to like a nice fast cranking speed else it seems spark-less [xx(]

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Haven't got my 2 litre in yet but I'm hoping my Bosch silver battery will be up to the job, it's a 60AH one I think, big b@stard in any case, will have a look. :)

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I would have thought that 50ah was enough, Chris. There is a 54ah option for an 8v though, so you could uprate it.

Interestingly, I recently replaced the battery in my 8v, and was going to buy a Bosch one. I was surprised when the man in Euro Car Parts warned me off them (even though it's their premium brand). He said they've had quite a few Bosch ones come back inside the warranty period, and I'd be better off with their cheapo brand, as Bosch aren't too forthcoming with replacements.

4. matt d Forum Member

More like 4 years old i think Chris ;)

5. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I did have a huuuge Bosch battery out of a diesel in mine, was something like 70ah. Would probably be useful again now i've got a diesel starter in too, might have to dig it out of the shed :)

4 years is good going for a battery, they do tend to just die suddenly when they get on a bit. I'm surprised some manufacturers are giving 3 year warranties these days, in my experience anything over two years is a lottery every time you turn the key.

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol:

That might explain it...I've temporarily replaced it with a 65Ah Varta jobbie, & the starting/cold running probs appear to have disappeared! :)

Just need to sort my baffled sump/ARPs before some Cosworth cainage on the 9th July now!! [:D]

7. breeze Forum Member

No idea on the replacements but I'd second the 'bosch batteries are actually a bit weedy' sentiment.

Splashed out on a new on (50ah?) and it was dead within 6 months. Replaced it with a Halfords heavy duty job of the same rating and that was perfect for a year. Turned out that I had a short that was draining the battery but thast isn't the point... :lol: