2l 16v into 1.8valver

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Vduber, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Vduber Forum Member

hiya

would a 2l 16v drop into my mk2 16v with ease. will ity mate up to my vavler gearbox and use the k-jet injection system? I'm just after the capacity increase to 2l 16v. will one from a corrado fit straight in?

i was thinking vr6 but i can't insure it yet so it will have to be a 2L 16v.
    Has one done this engine swap? did it go straight in no problems at all?

Vduber

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have a browse through the engine section, lots of info on here about this :)

But yep,get a Corrado/Passat 9A and fit it with all your 1800 injection and gearbox etc, fits straight in.

works ok for me [:D]

3. Vduber Forum Member

what hp is it standered? does it loose any when you put it on the k-jet? What do i need with the engine when i get? anything diffrent like zorst manifold etc

Cheers
    Edited by: Vduber

4. GVK

Hmm, this is the puzzling part the 9A is only rated at 136bhp as it has a cat, but I've had mine on 3 different rolling roads and had results ranging from 155-174bhp [:D]

http://gvk.altrezia.com/page4.html

Change the inlet cam to a KR one though ;)
    Edited by: G_V_K

5. mk1. Forum Junkie

check out his site for answers ;) :p

6. GVK

You use the mk2 manifolds,the mk2 engine sensors,distributor,flywheel,pas/alternator bracket and fuelling system ;)

literally everything that's bolted to the 1800,just swap to the 9A :)

7. Vduber Forum Member

so i only really need 9a block and head. this sounds a cheap mod for alot more power. i'd be well chuffed with 180bhp.

I'll sort looking for a low miled engine then. How much are they going for?

I've got a ported 50mm manifold on its way for the 1.8 so that will still go on the 2l engine.

Vduber

8. GVK

That's the trouble, as they were only used in old Passats and Corrado's all used engines will be getting on now [:^(]

Another way of doing it is by getting an Audi 6A engine and swapping the sump and oil pick up from your KR to it.

Split opinions on the manifold, 42mm is better suited for a 2 litre due to the plenum size.

But many on here use a 50mm on their 2 litre with no probs - I've got a 42mm on mine ;)

9. matt d Forum Member

You must also get the fueling adjusted for the 2 litre engine as there will be a lack of fuel at high revs aswell as a lack of power.
    To put it simply, a trip to Stealth racing ;)

10. ianb Forum Member

50mm manifold gives good torque as well as power

Fuelling and breathing are key

Ian

11. Vduber Forum Member

cheers guys. so i could fit it then ran it down to stealth it should be ok to run from Preston down to stealth with bad fueling?

i thought the 50mm would always be better seeming it can get more air through it.
    Not actaully seen a car with a 42mm on yet, [:$] [:s]

Cheers for your help guys.
    Jack

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Except the oil filter bracket and crankcase breather, they're slightly different on the 2L blocks. Also if you want to use the KR head on the 9A you'll have to knock out one of the guide pins on the block.

13. Joe_G Forum Member

Oil filter bracket and crankcase breather were identical on my 9A. I think it's the 6A which has different bits.

Joe

14. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Hmmm, I found that the top bolt on the oil filter brackets were in different places, the 9A one is offset to the left compared to the KR. It may have changed at some point, when I was looking around the scrappy it seemed like all the older 1.8/2.0 engines (pre 90 ish) used the same pattern as my KR, and all the newer engines use the same as the 9A. I got one off a 2.0 8v passat in the end.

15. Joe_G Forum Member

Hmm, could be, my 9A is stamped a 1990.

16. daviddd Forum Member

this may be a dumb question, but when you fit a 2L bottom end to a KR head, it's just the bore that gives the xtra 200cc, right? In other words the combustion chambers match exactly?

I fancy this easy conversion but living in the north of Scotland it's hard to get to a scrapyard i.e. there are none! I'm heading south in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks so I could pick one up - any suggestions to d@scotscalder.com!?

What's the cost of a regrind, new big ends / mains in the case of a well-used lump?

17. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Put an ABF bottom end onto your existing KR head using your existing cam and injection etc. [:D] [:D]

I have the 42mm inlet manifold which is better for bottom end torque and the head is gas flowed with and supersprint 4-2-1 stainless manifold. just be careful that the mainfold doen't touch the bulkead with the taller block. [:D] [:D] 169bhp/150lb/ft
    Edited by: Brookster

18. daviddd Forum Member

another think I'm not sure about [:$] - are 9A, 3A etc engines all 16V's or can I look for 8 valve engines too? Easier to describe what I want to a scrappie knowing this..

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Just get an ABF complete engine or just the bottom end thats the best and cheapest way to do it ;)

20. miggs2002 Forum Member

have you done this conversion yet? if so would you kindly pop round to mine if i pm you my address as i have probs at the mo with my bottom end on my mk2 KR and i'm thinkin of doin this conversion and wouldn't mind seein whats involved, it's easier to see than read about it if ya know what i mean, plus i'm only in bamber bridge:thumbup: