2L 8v charger / turbo mounting

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by G60KG, Aug 3, 2011.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Can someone please assist. I am considering the do-ability of adding a supercharger to my agg block with pb head (in mk2) I am looking to go down the Eaton route as they can be picked up reletavely cheap. Can someone please give me an idea of how to mount it and if using a G60 charger bracket would help in anyway. I have seen pictures on E38 with this setup on a ABF but need more info and cant get hold of the person that built it.

Car is soon to be on Megasquirt and I realise compression ratios will need to be altered.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I know a bloke who has an audi 2.2 10v turbo and manifold :) Get the manifold cut and welded, and you're well on the way.

PS forced induction is cheating :lol:

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

How much? I am a bit anti turbo though not sure exactly why, maybe its the charger's 'bolt on' appeal as there is no messing around with exhaust manifolds.

And I know its cheating, just getting carried away with potential build ideas especially since Ill have the aftermarket ECU to be able to run it properly.

Also reading through an epic 35 page long thread on vortex discussing whether or not the Eaton chargers are worth the hassle so may not even be worth it although they are comparing it to original G lader efficiency etc.

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'd say more research is needed. Turbo and manifold are all bolt on. Just seems to be a perception that chargers are easier. They both have their problems to overcome. Cost wise, A charger may be cheaper, but /hp is probably better with a turbo.

I just cant stand that broken power steering noise you get with those eatons.[xx(]

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I dont think I have heard one in the flesh. My dad has a XJR which uses the m90 (I think) but its fairly silent on that thing. Any more insight into the actual bolting on of the charger so I can continue weighing the options?

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think you should try to have a listen! At first it may sound nice, but may be too much to live with.
    [YOUTUBE]rqRqwY9rLWw[/YOUTUBE]

As with most things like this, you may have to actually decide your route beforehand, then figure out how to bolt it on once you get it. Can't see the info being given out too freely.
    You have to think about belt lengths and pulleys to keep enough tension on all ancillaries too.

Id say the bracket that holds on the aircon pump on the mk3 AGG is a good start.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I will do a bit of youtube searching at home for the noise. found the pic below using home made brackets bolted onto the original G60 bracket, I think the mk3 aircon bracket would work in a similar way. I am on page 9 of the thread and still not dyno graph [:s]

[​IMG]

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

you tube is up

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I imagine the Mk3 in that video is running with the charger un-silenced. They certainly don`t sound like that in Minis/Mercs/Jags...

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Its due to the layout of boost run. Discussed in a previous thread about TB being pre or post charger. If it were me, I'd have to do something about that noise.[xx(] Although some seem to love it. [:s]

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Found some other pics of mounting them. Same mk3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yeah, I`d say that`s unsilenced! :lol:

[​IMG]

I quite like the noise when I see cars running that way, but I could see it becoming wearing over time. :lol:

Surely it`s possibly to have it running as Eaton intended even on a retro-fit? (I`m not sure I`ve seen the other thread discussion...)

13. lewp91 Forum Member

i'm looking to charge a 1.8 or 2.0l(with 1.8 head) in the future, that noise would drive me mad!
    however i see that there is more performance to be had from a pre TB setup apparently.
    still looking into other ways of unrestrictivey shutting the bugger up though! i like the idea of running a standard clutched pulley with a merc 210/220mm(cant remember the exact size) either machined or welded crank pulley to my standard one and just running it a bit off set, that way i use a separate belt and can eliminate almost or even all slip off it :p

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

the metallic sound off throttle doesnt sound too healthy and is very annoying. I dont mind the whine too much although do like the 8v sound the car makes now. Others on you tube dont seem to make the metallic sound so not sure what that could be.

Also could someone explain the pre/post TB to me as I am a little confused about the different options and pros/cons of each

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The thread is here
    On the mini, TB is pre charger connected by an Alloy pipe. Most conversions seem to have TB post charger. Probably why noise is worse.

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

i thought this was an old fire engine as it was pulling up :lol: is a different charger though.

[YOUTUBE]ZhVwyDuvlwA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Can't see it like that. Couldn't live with that noise for a day.

18. superchargedabf Forum Member

my abf

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

20. lewp91 Forum Member

smart looking recirc, what are you using as a bypass?