2L 8v conversion guide

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, May 13, 2006.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

If you are using the mk2 alternator then use the mk2 belt, if you have switched to the mk3 alternator setup then use the mk3 belts

2. UKJr87 Forum Member

i was going to use the mk2 alt.....is it advised to use the mk3 alt though? worth the hassle of getting it if my mk2 one is fine...? what would be the best way of getting hold of a good mk3 alt if i was to go that route?

cheers

3. UKJr87 Forum Member

also, does that mean all the other anciliarys (PAS, water pump etc) will accept either the mk2 or the mk3 belts?

4. UKJr87 Forum Member

all of the pics have gone :(

5. UKJr87 Forum Member

im not sure of the exact name of the component, but on the front of the block you have the oil cooler mount that has the 2connectors on the top of it....and it bolts directly into the block. well my 2e engine came with one of those and visually the only difference is that the sensors are in parallel to the crankshaft rather then the length of the car as on my PB engine (1.8 mk2). can i use the 2e oil cooler mount on my engine conversion? ill swap the sensors from the PB engine to the 2e as well.....can you do that ok?!
    cheers

6. paultownsend Forum Member

guys, can we just comfirm what lower cambelt cover we use? mk2 pb or mk3 2e?
    im not running one and need it sorting asap!
    however i am using a passat upper cover which fits the mk3 rocker cover perfectly!

7. paultownsend Forum Member

8. Flipper Forum Member

How much would a bottom end conversion cost roughly?
    What sort of prices have people paid?

9. UKJr87 Forum Member

it depends really, if you pick up a bottom end for say 100-200 quid then you could just do the straight swap and thats job done! oh, you would need to spend money on coolant, PAS oil (if u have it), engine oil,head bolts, head gasket, cambelt, inlet & exhaust mani gaskets. so add maybe 100 on for that....

mine cost me a bomb coz i got a head gas flowed, and a fully recond bottom 2l bottom end, fast road cam, new clutch, recently recond gearbox with a longer 5th. then i got alot of other stuff as well. new PAS & water pump, all new engine mounts including uprated front from G-werkes, powerflexed all front end bushes. so mine turned out very expensive in the end!! depends how you wanna do it....!

10. UKJr87 Forum Member

a question about the dip stick...ive used my PB engined stick in my 2E engine and with a full 4litres of oil in, it comes about half way up the scale...im thinking that the PB dipstick is therefore incompatible with the 2E engine....will i have to buy a 2E dip stick or are there other models/engines i could pinch one off? cheers

11. Flipper Forum Member

I want some more ummpphh but i dont want to loose reliability by going too 'extreme' with it.
    would 600-700 pound cover it do you all think??

12. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

2e and pb use the same dipstick iirc.

Yea if you really just do the basics.

13. nealey Forum Junkie

How handy are you with a spanner? Its not a particularly difficult conversion and you could save a hell of a lot doing it yourself

14. Flipper Forum Member

How handy are you with a spanner? Its not a particularly difficult conversion and you could save a hell of a lot doing it yourself[/QUOTE]

Im reasonably handy with a spanner and i have a few friends that are the same.
    I was thinking about maybe buying another mk2 8v GTI engine and doing the work on that then swapping it over for my one.

15. nealey Forum Junkie

Best way to do it, thats what we did with i.a.n.b's when we done his

16. UKJr87 Forum Member

so i took my newly fitted 2l 8v for a MOT yesterday and the emissions test went as follows (it did pass):
    CO %vol - Max limit = 3,500 - Actual value = 0.289
    HO ppm vol - Max limit = 1,200 - Actual value = 781

going by that alone, what would you guys says needs tweaking with the engine to get it running better? sometimes after a blast on the throttle it comes back to idle then either struggles/cuts out. then after starting it again which can sometimes take a few secs it sounds like the exhaust is burbling alot as it ignites fuel possibly.....

i have got a gas flowed head and a kent cam GS2H - i set the dizzy timing up as best as i could to the standard 6degs advance. would i need to set the dizzy to a different position taking into account the cam & head etc....? or id 6degs advance (i.e standard) the best?

ideally i want to get it RR'd and tuned up properly but i need to run the engine in for 500miles as i got it fully recond. but during those 500miles i obv dont want it running to rich or it may damage the engine internals etc....so if i could get it running as best as i can for now it would be good!

any advice would be much appreciated! this area is one i hardly know anything about to be honest!

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I managed to pick up a mint AGG block for 90 delivered off Ebay. I dont know much about internals but the bores looked in good nick and still had honing marks. I have done over 7k miles in it with a port and polished head from Vagabonds. Excellent torque very enjoyable to drive. Much more fun than my 2.0 16v Corrado.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd say that's running a bit on the lean side, rather than rich. Take the spark plugs out and have a look to confirm. Have a look at rubjonny's Digifant Tuning FAQ.

19. Cian Forum Member

JamesB:
    Any more details of the spacer? I have found an Audi 80 with a tall block for beer money so going to do this conversion. I hope

Cheers

20. pimped-gti Forum Member

hi guys,

thinkin of doin this converion on my mk2 1990 8v.

just woderin every this thats needed, ovsily 2l bttm end, but wot can you still use form existing stuff, i.e manafold, starter, dizzy, alt, g/box etc?????

any advice would be much appriceted

cheers guys