2L 8v conversion guide

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, May 13, 2006.

1. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Manifolds PB, starter pb, dizzy 2e, alternator up to you, either use all 2e or pb ancilleries setup, gbox pb.

2. pimped-gti Forum Member

Thanks ian:thumbup:
    Looks like am goin to be busy soon lol

cheers

3. UKJr87 Forum Member

i used the 2E block and i didnt use any spacer....just bolted the standard PB exhaust mani upto it and its fine.....nothing is caching on fire or fouling....

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have a spacer if anyone needs it, I didnt need it on my conversion and my manifold studs were to short anyway.

5. UKJr87 Forum Member

can anyone tell me what i should expect power and torque wise realistically, assuming that its been tuned well, but not remapped, from:
    2.0 8v 2e block
    gas flowed head
    kent cam GS2H (270 deg duration)

and my 2e block is reconditioned. ive just driven it for 500 miles granny style to help run it in, and after an oil change at 500miles have since been booting it! how many more miles before the engine should be able to knock out its best power figures?
    cheers

6. sjm66 Forum Member

hi.

In the process of doing up a 3A engine for my mk1 Caddy.... its going good but got some questions about the dizzy. Most say that the original dizzy should be used along with the 3A
    drive gear.... OK but why is it not possible to swap out the intermediate shafts and run the original dizzy with a spacer ring ?

Steve

7. MK2_GTi_8V New Member

Hi,

Can any mk2 8v head be used or must it be a PB head?

8. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

I have Just bought 1990 Audi 80 2.0e 3A engine off ebay for this conversion to my mk2 1.8pb 8v gti. i take it its just a straight swap over of the block. Was thinking of renewing oil pump water pump and cambelt do i use 1.8 pb stuff for 2.0 3A stuff? I have mk2 GTD gearbox spare can i use this its seems to give better acceleration when compared to my GTI 8v box - Any pointers on 3a conversion would be good?

9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

8v gurus,.. having just picked up a decent mk2 8v digifant as a daily driver, but wanting to have a play around with picking up a 2e block.. I was wondering if the std ECU has enough compensation or adjustability to take care of the extra 200cc?

Cheers,

Henry

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

From what Toyotec has done on his, I'd say you'll get far better results on standalone management. He has a stock-ish 2.0 8v on megasquirt, and it's a very different engine from the way VW shipped them.

The more you modify the 2.0 8v engine, the less well the digi ECU will cope.

11. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Im literally thinking about throwing a 2e bottom end in with a new cambelt, and a clean! Got enough on project wise with the race car! Just wondering if the ECU will be 'ok'...

Also does the PB knock sensor bolt to the 2e block in the same place?

12. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

ECU is fine, and yes knock sensor is the same.

13. logieuk Forum Member

2BE engine code a 1.8 bottom end?

14. akhtar New Member

Hello James. I've found this conversion guide all over the web. I own a mk3 AGG and the gearbox is on the way out. Can't remeber what the code is but what would be an ideal gearbox for it. I do intend to do further work and I've heard a lot about the 02o's and the 02a's but not sure which would be better. Also, if I'm buying used, where would be best to recondition before installation?

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I think you should aim around the 100 mark max for a 2E/AGG bottom end.

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

Another 020 box is more than up to the job!

Post your question in the correct section for a more detailed answer!

17. hisnameisearl Forum Member

I got a 1.8 ABS code 8v and by looks of it a tall block (like a 2e) will fit straight on, not sure if new cam would be needed, anyone confirm for me please?

18. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Just a few additional things that I've discovered whilst doing my conversion from EV to 2E-

The plate between the gearbox & block on the 2E is shorter than the EV item, you'll need to swap them or have the bottom of your flywheel/pressure plate exposed. I didn't realise this until after I'd swapped the flywheel & pressure plate over & refitted the gearbox. I wasn't happy.

The driver's side rear engine mount is different, 3 bolt holes on the EV mount, only 1 on the 2E, just swap them over it's only four 10mm bolts.

The alternator mounts are different, you'l need to remove the bracket from the EV block but this won't fit straight onto the 2E due to little block on the cambelt cover rear plate, I just binned the back plate.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  19. milesmk2 Forum Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  20. dubsteps Forum Member

just about to undertake this conversion got a AGG block and using my PB head, whats the difference between the two head gaskets as I've already got a PB head gasket thats new, can this be used on this conversion?