2litre 8v carb conversion

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DrPye, Sep 22, 2008.

1. DrPye New Member

Hey i have a 1.6 ryder at the moment and i no you can swap the bottom end on the 1.8 gti's for a 2litre bottom end. But i was wondering if id be able to do this with my ryder and if itd be exactly the same as doing it on the gti.

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pretty much the same yes, except you'll need to fit your old dizzy using the old 2e dizzy gear and the adaptor plate from TSR. I'd fit a GTI head and k-jet GTI dizzy to it while you're there, and drill the coolant channel in the back o the head for the carb if you're still on the old 2e2 carb. Match the size/depth of the hole to your old head, since its aluminium its pretty easy to drill :)
    Leave the injectors in or take out the inserts and drop a coin down each one, its either a 1p or 2p that fits cant remember.

Last issue is you may suffer from clearance issues with the std airbox due to the extra height, or you might not!

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yes, you can do it....

There are a few options as to how you do it...

1. 2.0 bottom end with a Mk2 carb head
    - probably not a great option, but the cheapest. The head may struggle to flow enough for a 2.0 engine, so it probably won't rev very well
    - you need a dizzy adaptor ring and larger gear, as RJ said.
    - you'll need to have the carb rejetted

2. 2.0 bottom end and Mk2 GTI head
    - It's a 1p coin you need for the injector holes.
    - If you've got the money to have it done, it's still worth flowing the head to help it rev.
    - you still need the dizzy adaptor ring and bigger gear

3. Mk3 2.0 engine and management complete.
    - Getting complicated - you need to change over the whole fuel system and have the Mk3 inlet manifold, injectors, loom, etc.

4. Do one of the above with a 1.8 GTI engine, or 1.8 driver engine
    - saves the dizzy ring, and won't have the breathing problems of the 2.0
    - Engine is higher compression than the 1.6, so will give a good power increase, but not quite as much as the 2.0
    - No clearance issues with manifolds, etc.

5. Sell your car and buy the best GTI you can afford
    - you'll get better brakes, suspension, interior, and save a lot of messing about.

I'd go for Option 4 or 5, but it's your car / money

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

well summed up!

personally i would choose option 5 using my head, my heart would day something different, but thats why my GTI hasnt moved in nearly a year!