2litre16v Vs 1.8T mk1 golf

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by daniboy123, Oct 16, 2005.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I like corners too... ;) :lol: but I know what you mean.. woosh past down the straight is all well and good if you can breaze down the straights, so long as the straights are long enough to spool up. I bet we have all been on track days where little nimble, lighter, lower powered cars are all over us, but we can ease away under the straights.

Corners and braking is where its at for me. Straight lines if for 1/4 milers and thats not my bag.

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

itbs sound beter ;)

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

They do Craig, we know that :lol:

But as Bill said, these days on track days the noise restrictions are becoming more and more stringent and the noisy ITB'd and bike engined cars are being booted off left right and centre, it's a shame but that's the way it is.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:^(] [:^(] 7600rpm & strict trackday sound limits dont agree with B6.......

Il always maintain that an N/A induction/exhaust noise sounds so "pure" & racey compared to a forced induction equivalent... [:D] I love listening to high revving valvers on trackdays!

The lower power N/A stuff can still do the bizzo too....IanB,Graham Scott & myself were testament to that on the RSOC day @ Combe.....outpaced a lot of "on-paper" faster/more powerful turbocharged machinery, & had a session when we left all the Cossies & others behind. Bill made us look slow when he was out with us mind;) [:$]

As a budget pokey/swift track toy a decent tuned valver beit 1800 or 2L is ideal in a mk1....

20vT is more tuneable & ultimately faster...but requires much deeper pockets IMO..

Couple of my Combe vids....more N/A niceness!! [}:)]

Leading a Cossie!

Bye Bye XR2

Edited by: chrismc

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

cracking thread :clap:

6. nickvw Forum Member

7. nickvw Forum Member

That was me filming that, think it was the RS open day ;)

8. ViCk Forum Member

As with anything, if you can carry out the work yourself and have an eye for a bargain, then the skys the limit to what you can do. But if you want the noise factor, nothing beats the VR6. :p

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Prefer the ITB'd howl of a 4 cylinder VW personally....

VR is too muted only breathing through one TB... [:$] ;)
    Edited by: chrismc

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I think the noise man at Snetterton thought ChrisPs mk2 VR with Ram-Air filter was loud enough :lol:

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

[Edit].... Unless the said VR is breathing through a F*ck Off Cossie Ramair filter of course... [Edit]

:lol: ;)

12. AtlasMK1 Forum Member

Sorry guys, just think the 1.8T has very little character at all, just don't like how it sounds, in every other respect it's great but not my thing at all.

Dave!

13. daniboy123 Forum Member

Quite a response! I wont be using my car on the track and prefer the idea of plenty of torque rather than neck snapping acceleration. I`m just trying to get a feel for the pro`s and cons of a turbo conversion. It looks like cost and complexity of installation are the biggest factors against fitting a turbo to my car. I think i need to speak to more people who have put turbo`s in their mk1`s. Maybe there are some guides out there that could be refered to?.

14. Guests Banned

No Bill......Matt and I popped some 750cc injectors in for a laugh without mapping it properly ;) Running slightly to rich cough cough......the VF22 hit 2.2 BAR as well!!! and is still alive! IHI turbo's are sooooo strong!
    Edited by: Slapbladder

15. NormanCoal Forum Member

You knows it!! [:D]

That coupled with a very hot exhaust (it started to melt the underseal off that side wheelarch!) made for a very vocal car. Damn I miss it [:^(]

16. Guests Banned

Blimey CP poop the bed? lol

17. NormanCoal Forum Member

You saying I was up early?!?

Cheeky fekker! :lol:

18. Guests Banned

lol yep!!!

19. RIX77 New Member

thanxi try[:D],but there is alot of diff. between our 2 countries car/tuning wise,we dont have any mrk. 1 1.8t in denmark,we have a couple of mrk 2 vr6 and a rallye vr6,and about 20/30 mrk. 1 g60/16v

so,our lawes are crap when it comes to cars,no sens,vr6 brakes on a mrk 3 1.8 menes tax as a vr6[xx(],i have payed 58oo euros for my car in DE,tax in DK 10000 euros[xx(],the car is a mrk3 vr6 syncro from 1995 160tkm.

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

one thing ive never understood with big power turbo cars,throttle steering on corners? wont it be a bit dodgy?

just dosnt seem right to me somehow,in my mates cossie,to get it to set off side ways youve gotta be blipping the throttle pretty high up the rev range,and then when you drop the clutch its a bit lairy,maybe a lot less controlable than n/a?

i know on track that youre probably gonna want to be smoother anyway but i dunno,just the idea of pressing the throttle and nothing happening and then all of a sudden serious power coming in dosnt seem right somehow...