3-350bhp 1.8t, how much?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Jimbob, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Jimbob Forum Member

How much would i be looking at to get at least 300bhp from a 225bhp 20vt? Is an aftermarket ecu going to make it much easier to gain power? I like the look of DTA's system.
    Im weighing up the prices between a 2.0 16vt and a 1.8 20vt to see what will be cheapest to get my target bhp.
    The main downside of the 1.8t is the cost of the actual engine to start with, would a 225bhp engine be about 1500?

Put it this way, both mr A and mr B have 2500 to spend on thier engines,

mr A buys and fits a 2.0 16v for 200 and has 2300 to spend on turbo etc

mr B buys a 1.8t and fits it spending 1600, leaving 900 to modify

whos going to have the highest bhp?

Can you lot help me decide?!

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

the 1.8t will still be able to fetch the biggest power.
    for 900 quid on a 156/180 engine you will see 250/260 with the right mods, maybe more.
    i dont think you'd get a 2.0 16v even turbo'd to that with 2.3k.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Think about how going for maximum BHP will affect the driveability.

You don't need 300BHP+, it's a ridiculous amount to handle in a mk2 golf.

Concentrate more on mid range torque and you 'll have a far better car.

4. prof Forum Addict

1.8t on OE management and revo software can make 210+

a TT lump with KO4 can make 270bhp easily both are fairly cheap to do with just good intercoolers and 3" downpipes required

more than that you will need to change the manifold so thats another 450 IHI turbo like Bills can run 350bhp+ but you will need lower comp pistons

OEM management is very very good, stick with it if you can

5. Jimbob Forum Member

what about 900 on a 225bhp engine?

What is needed in terms of ignition etc to get from the donor vehicle to bypass the security etc?

Im heading towards the 1.8t route as like phatvr6 said, i dont need that sorta power, espesially right away, im going to be getting used to 4wd at the same time.

Ideally id like to use the TT engine because of the stronger internals, this will give a better base to start from as my ultimate goal is big bhp

All of my research has been on the 16vt (mainly on the american sites) thats what this post is all about, i wanted a uk price (which are a lot different because of availability over here)
    I guess im gunna have to spend a lil while with the forum search rather than asking the same questions countless other people have asked!

thanks for the input so far.

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Stick a 225BHP TT/S3 lump in it with all the factory management and get REVO to work their magic. 280bho, more than enough, and still with factory driveability and smoothness too no doubt. gotta be nicer to drive than anything on race management.

7. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

AGU 1.8T K03 Jabba remap, filter and cat back exhaust 220 brake! That is in my friends mk4, and it really goes well! That in a mk2 would be a lot of fun!

Alan

8. Jimbob Forum Member

I think i'm gunna head towards the 225bhp (whats the code?) engine, like i said before, the internals would not need replacing as soon, surely the extra money spent on buying the tt lump will be less than what it would cost to uprate the internals f the lesser powered motor? Would it mean a bigger turbo to match the tt engine too?

Im really thinking about the future as i dont intend on modding the engine right away, im sure theres a lot to learn about this sort of power already!

can anyone point me in the right direction of sites/companies/breakers so i can start getting some definate figures?

9. prof Forum Addict

yeah if you start with a ttlump then 270bhp+ is just a remap away assuming you have good intercooling and exhaust

which is going to be plenty

the synchro 4x4 will struggle with this sort of power

IIRC rallye bits are stonger and ok at this level but for big power you will need to run the haldex 4x4 system from a TT-big job to get that lot all in, designadubs have done it before........

Rallye on here knows the score on all this

10. edc1 Forum Member

The 225 has twin intercoolers - can u fit all that in a mk2 Golf or is there enough room for a FMIC. I believe Bill's car is 391+ bhp now

11. Jimbob Forum Member

I'll be using either the rallye or passat syncro system to start (and being as sensible in it as i can regarding standing starts etc.)

would like to use haldex etc but im gunna have to wait as im throwing enough money at it already (for a 20 yr old)

A little of the original subject but whats involved in fitting the haldex rear diff, is it a case of using the rallye axle and replacing the diff its self? or by big job do you mean shed loads of precisely (sp) fabricating mounts etc

12. prof Forum Addict

I think designadubs are supplying them complete with a rallye rear axle, best to ring em up really

plenty of room in a mk2 for a front mounted intercooler,

13. Jimbob Forum Member

Spent most of the day looking for 1.8t info, i cant believe how much easier it is than finding 16vt stuf, theres so many people that are using this engine!
    It just proves how much harder it will be if i go the 16vt route.

Next thing to do is get prices, does anyone have any links to any breaker directories etc?

thanks again.

14. Polo Classic Forum Member

According to Honester/TS-racing, KKK will soon release a new turbo that will bolt on to the K03/04 manifolds. It will be called K05 and will be suitable for 300 bhp engines. If you want to fit a 1,8T engine in a Mk II/III, just get a S3 manifold and a K05. The S3 exhaust manifold is only 1730 NOK (around 130) from the dealership over here in Norway, should be cheaper in the UK as everything else is.

15. prof Forum Addict

isn't the s3 a ko3s? I'm pretty sure the K03 and K04 manifolds are different

16. Polo Classic Forum Member

The manifolds are probably different, but the bolt pattern on the flange for the Turbo is the same.

There are two different types of flanges, one for the Audi A4/Passat (Eg K04-15) and another one for transverse engines, Golf, A3/s3, Octavia, Leon

S3 manifolds have better design (ports) than the regular 150 bhp manifolds

17. prof Forum Addict

but can you fit a k04 on a k03 manifold?

18. edc1 Forum Member

I don't think so cos otherwise everyone would be doing this for the Ibiza instead of the E05 or IHI. S3 is a K04 isn't it, like all the Leons?

19. Polo Classic Forum Member

20. prof Forum Addict

you sure an s3 is k04?

and the manifold is 130?

if so i'm a happy bunny