3A engine rebuild

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Haze, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Haze Paid Member Paid Member

I'm having currently an engine rebuild by Impulse developments, I would like to know do I need to use an 8 valve flywheel and what pressure plate do I use (8v or 16v)?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

8v gti or 16v flywheel, they're the same. Just make sure its a 210mm one, some MK1 GTI flys were 200mm I believe, to be on the same side make sure its a MK2 GTI one and you cant go wrong. For the pressure plate the VAG 16v ones are stronger, but if you get a clutch kit from sachs it doesnt make any difference the pp part number is the same in both the 8v GTI and 16v kit. So just get a sachs kit that matches the gearbox you'll be using :)

3. domma Forum Member

That's interesting Jon as i bought a replacment clutch for my old MK1 before i sold it and thought i was going to have to get a combined 8v/16V arrangment for my now 3A.
    I recall its a sachs so i should be quids in.

I do recall guys buying both an 8V and 16V clutch from GSF before to do this conversion, swapping the 16V pressure plate with the 8V in the boxes and taking the 16V clutch back for a refund!!

Poor sods who bought the 16V ones at a later date.

A it was my Sachs kit came from GSF so would have made no difference doing the above.

Cheers Domma.........

4. rubjonny

I think GSF do LUK kits as well, dont know if the pressure plates differ in those. AVS list all the part numbers to be found in their clutch kits, so could compare what you have in your kit with that :)

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

It depends on what gearbox you're using - you didn't say. If Mk1/2 box then RJ is right... if you're going cable change, then you need the flywheel to match.

6. Haze Paid Member Paid Member

Right my car is a MK2 8v 1800 Pb engine so I take it I need to find the same flywheel.
    As I still use my car for work can not strip engine and rob my flywheel.
    What price should I pay for a second hand one.

7. rubjonny

well you gotta take the old engine out to fit the new one, so you can just take the flywheel off after you unbolt the gearbox from your old lump, its only 9 bolts :)

8. Haze Paid Member Paid Member

Wish I could but engine builder need flywheel and pressure plate soon so they can lighten and balance

9. Haze Paid Member Paid Member

Would it be a good idea for me to up rate my brakes on my Mk2, before my 3A 2.0l with
    a 8V head, done from the man in the shed is fitted to my car.
    If so what brakes should I look for.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Aah... I fell over a spare flywheel in the garage tonight... shame you're not local, as it costs about 15 to post a flywheel and clutch.

Mk2 8v and 16v flywheels are all the same.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading brakes, unless you're going to do a lot of trackdays, or thrash the living daylights out of it! Just make sure the 239's are working properly.

If you do want a brake upgrade, how much money have you got? 256's from a 16v will be fine though.

11. rubjonny

ah i see, boggo flywheels arnt that expensive, id never pay more than 10 for one. i gave all my spare ones away!

12. Haze Paid Member Paid Member

Hi need help again the 3A oil pump,what do I use (1) a 3A oil pump with a GTI pickup fitted to the 3A pump.(2) or just fit a new GTI oil pump from GSF.

13. JamesL Forum Member

Errrr shouldn't these so called engine rebuilders know which one they should be using rather than asking you? I think that the original one from either your engine or the audi engine will do the job but check the distance between the oil pump pick up and he sump before you decide :) :)