4 cyl big block oil pumps - how many versions? FAQ added p2. Updated p4.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by A.N. Other, Aug 18, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bump for above Q ^^

2. danster Forum Addict

Yes they are the same. The only difference is the key way at the end where the pulley driven by the timing belt fits.

The 1.6 and 1.8 engines use the larger gear on the IM shaft and a smaller gear on the dizzy / oil pump drive gear. The 2.0 engines use a smaller gear on the IM shaft and a larger gear on the dizzy / oil pump drive gear.

The diesel engines use a different size gears for both.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  3. VAL

val New Member

Thanks for confirmation. I knew about key way as it is already modified to accept 16v/20v IM shaft cog.

Images and part numbers from my old 9A oil pump. I took out 16v shaft as I need it for my 2.0 8v oil pump conversion. Also note this pump has got oil pickup like ABF's...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click for full-size images. Lower part number is 025... not 026...

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Can I just confirm that a G60 pump will fit onto an 8v mk2? or is it overkill, on a standard , but hard driven car? Thanks.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

will fit but you probably wont need it on a standard or lightly modified car. the oem pump flows plenty good enough, though if you were to add piston squirters then i think this is when you need to get a bigger pump

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

cheers RJ , the engine is slightly "tired" , but the owner isn't in a position to rebuild or replace it . I'm gonna drop the sump off first , check that the pick-up isn't damaged or blocked , it has low oil pressure on tickover , but it does increase to safer levels with rpm . For my own 8v with a hot cam and squirters , I like the idea of more flow.:thumbup:

7. rubjonny

could always buy a g60 pump for yours and fit the old one to his engine :lol:

8. danster Forum Addict

I can confirm that the oil pumps fitted to 1.8 20v NA ADR engines are the same as the ABF pumps. They utilise the large 36mm gears and have the waisted stem.
    But being fitted in a 1.8 block they use the same size drive gears as the KR engines.

The pickup pipe is obviously for a longitudinally mounted engine, but this is easily swapped for the transverse type.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting. Why/where would this block 1.8 'size' make a difference in terms of packaging, as the skirts of the block don't come into it?

10. danster Forum Addict

It is the 2.0 crank that creates the clearance problems around the IM shaft and oil pump drive gear. In a 1.8 this is not an issue. :thumbup:

The ADR 1.8 block has the small dizzy blanking plug, so the large 2.0 gear would not fit down the hole onto the oil pump driveshaft anyway.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Top notch shizzle and logic.

So does this mean there is a gearing change (as normal?) for the speed the oil pump drives at? Corrected by intermediate pulley shaft size?

12. danster Forum Addict

No gearing change. As Brian G points out in this informative post earlier in the thread, both 1.8 and 2.0 driving and driven gears have 17 teeth so the ratio stays the same.
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1787777&postcount=53

The volume of oil pumped will be greater in the ADR engine compared to the KR as the pump gears are 36mm instead of the KR's 30mm.
    It could be the 1.8 20v needs more oil flow to cope with the extra cam followers, and also the turbo oil feed in charged versions of the engine.

16v and 20v IM shaft block pumps will also flow proportionally more oil for the same size of pump gears per revolution than 8v engines due to them using a smaller IM shaft pulley.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Adding to the excellent clarity already in this thread. I thank you!

14. Briankl Forum Member

First of all: Thanks a million for all the effort going into this thread - very informational.

One small question for clarification however - since I'm not completely certain I got this correct (maybe a language barrier):

Will any of the 36 mm. pumps fit an otherwise stock PL/KR bottom end? ABF, 9A, what?

I currently have a stock KR bottom end, with the two piece blanking plug, etc., and it's due for a rebuild (rally car, punctured the sump ON the sump guard due to a very freak incident).
    I am looking to get the most cost effective oil pump in there.

Thank you in advance for the replys.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, the 36mm ABF pump fits straight on the KR.

If running a normal steel sump, there is a technical argument to put the shallower KR pick up pipe on an ABF pump when fitted to a KR. This is to reverse any height / flow differences in the pick up area compared to the different / deeper (?) ABF pickup pipe and alloy sump. Close inspection of pipe to sump-floor clearances recommended ideally, seeing as this being used in rough terrain competition :thumbup:

16. Briankl Forum Member

That's great - thanks a lot!

17. rubjonny

the abf and 9a use the same oil pump and pickup assembly, but the 9a has the same tin metal sump as the kr so there shouldnt be any need to mess with the pickup. that being said if you have an aftermarket sump it may not be quite the same shape

18. dubztubz Forum Member

brian how did you remove pin from plunger?.just i took one out from 6a block i had and wish to clean it before i use it again.mine was stuck also but got it going again with wd40 plus shot air gun in centre hole.i take it plunger should fall when put into block ? and oil pressure then keeps it down on top of gear cog ?

also took one out of kr block i have in mk1 it's shorter than 6a unit and does not have plunger

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  19. Briankl Forum Member

I have just refreshed my engine, and got the 2.0-pump with KR-pickup. But I also looked into that plug-thing.
    Mine is the solid version, as were any and all I could find in the parts pile. They are from an ACE, a KR, and a couple of PL's. Every single one was solid.

Any way - I had never paid attention to that plug regarding the oil pressure. I had just gone to great length to ensure that oil didn't leak from where the plug goes into the block. Originally they are fitted with a very thin paper gasket, but so far I haven't seen that gasket show up in a gasket kit. So the last time I made a gasket. Unfortunately I made it from pretty thick gasket material - some 2-3 mm. thick I would say - meaning that the plug didn't fit tightly against the shaft. Oil pressure when cold, was just fine, but when very varm, it wasn't too good.
    After going over this thread for advice on an uprated pump, I also discovered that my gasket was an issue, and this time around I mounted it with sealant instead, for a good tight fit.
    The uprated oil pump and the changed seal of the plug has really improved hot oil pressure immensely!

Sirguydo likes this.
  20. thomas02 New Member

Hello from France,

I intend to mount an oil pump ABF on my KR but I have a small question .

Should we put the lock cover KR or ABF ?