[4+E]

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by wbr, Mar 19, 2004.

1. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

i know it wont behave like one i would just like something that would look nice and would keep up with my mates i guess theres no way in chance in that pla working now lol

vdubGolf

is there any pics i can see of your car please?

2. drew Forum Member

To keep up with your mates you want the Polo if you are going to stick with VW. The mk2 Golf is good but the Driver/GL is no ball of fire by any stretch of the imagination. The 55bhp Polo Coupe will outrun a 1.6 Mk2 Driver with ease. The 75bhp one will easily outrun a 1.8 Mk2 and with a few tweaks won't be far behind a Mk2 GTI 8v.

You'll pay a lot of insurance for the big engine which you simply don't get much benefit from.

Though to be honest, the quickest cheap small hatchback is still the [duck]Vauxhaul Nova SR series[/duck], over 80bhp from the Vauxhaul 1.3 and even more from the 1.4s. Image is an issue obviously!

Alternatively some of the old Rover 214 16v's are actually really good too. Infact, this is the best 1.4 engine there ever was. 100 bhp means almost GTI quick, still cheap to insure (same as a mk2 driver!) and handling to match. Engines made by Honda so very reliable. Just buy a cloth cap and a pipe.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

3. vdubGolf Forum Member

sorry mate, no pics as yet.

its a big bumper gti lookalike (as standard), without the arches and sills.

lovely interior.

get a late one, and wait for a good example. 1 or 2 owners, history etc. there is plenty about.

4. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

i think i wont get the 1.8 gl now
    i think i will just get the 1.6 driver the insurance was

896.00 tpft

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I used to own a mk2 1600 gl a few years ago. It had the 4+e box, and fair play, on the way to Tenby down the M4 I managed to get it up to 120mph on that long down hill(those who live down there now which bit of the M4). Bloody thing used to go really well for a 1600.......this is the car that got me hooked!!
    And believe it or not the bloody thing is still going with more that 250,000 on the clock.

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I actually really liked the Economy / fifth gear on my old 1.8 Driver. Seriously, I did. It was quite a nippy car, yet very nice for cuising in fifth gear. The extra pull I get with fifth gear on the 8V GTI (which replaced my Driver as my runaround car) is nice, but the fact that it whines its head off in every single gear is taking me a while get used to.

7. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Mines a 1.8 gl 4+e and I do get anoyed with the lack of pull in fifth. However fourth is fine for the motorway and as has been said, 5th is just there for cruising. With a bit of tweaking it is quite a fun drive. Plus I've always preferred the mk2 over all VW's, and am on my second now (first one was the same spec, but older).