4 Point harness advice please....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Tubthumped, Apr 19, 2004.

1. sife1 Forum Member

Tubthumped, is your O/S strap attached to the furtherst belt mounting point behind the Strut mounting or on the secondary point on the C-pillar? i cant make it out from the top pic.

I only got a 3 point sparco harness so i cant wrap it round my rear strut brace. Recently it was attached to the rear seat lower point and now i have moved it to the C-pillar point. But was unsure if is this point is a good place, i mean it doesnt seem like the most rigid area (if compared to the lower seat fixing point)?

Cheers

2. steve r

steve r Forum Member

in the latest track and race cars mag theres a feature on a racing lupo that competes in the stock hatch championship, the harnessess go down to the rear lower inner and outer mounts where the R/H rear seat belt would normally be fixed as circled in mk1 drivers pic above.

that car must have passed the scrutineering etc to be able to race.......

i mounted the belts at this location in my old mk1 track car and will do the same with my new mk2.

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

installed my 4 point harness today:

rear mounts, welded an extra mount to the floor:

[​IMG]

inner mount on transmission tunnel, i kept the seat belt for mot/casual driving:

[​IMG]

outer mount:

[​IMG]

and all fitted:

[​IMG]

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

well here's my view

i have a three point harness - the shoulder strap is fixed to a seatbelt male connector - that plugs straight into the o/s rear seatbelt female conector for the rear seatbelt

this means when i want to fold the seat forward/ fold rear seats forward/ take rear passengers i just unclip it

if you have a roll cage then it may be safe to use the rear top seat belt mounts

but remember how badly the rear corner of andy947's car deformed in the accident - if you mount the belt up there, and don't have a cage, then that amount of deformity would allow the shoulder harness to go slack...

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

So the best bet is strap them to a proper cage, second best is the lap belt positions. I`ll be going with the lapbelt points then!

Seeing the size and weight of my seat subframes I don`t think ther`s a lot of chance of them colapsing :lol: I bought long hook for the tunnel side, so it makes it easier to clip the harness in and I can keep the seatbelt.

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Or depending on the way the pillar deforms, it may actually tighten the strap, crushing the seat and you.

8. fish18 Forum Member

Very good point!

think the car in question has a cage now tho,

i read somewhere about harnesses being bad in a car without a cage, full stop. because in a roll situation your head/shoulders may be crushed as you are pinned in the seat!

I havent had the pleasure of a trip in the 'tumble dryer' myself but does anyone have any views on the subject?

9. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

the b pillar is the one least likely to collaps - cos it's on a side rather than a corner

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

and another good read :)