5 door MK2 track cars?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Willber, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Willber Forum Member

I have a MK2 GTi which I am building to use on occasional track days and generally enjoying blatting round the Yorkshire roads in my spare time. I intend to fit some different front seats, reclining bucket seats I think - not proper race type buckets. This is mainly due to the fact that my head touches the roof when I am in the standard seat and it is not comfortable.

I have bought a couple of Sparco 4-point bolt in harnesses with the seat belt type fastener so should be fine for the MOT. I bought these because of how much they can benefit the driver and not just from a safety point of view.

Now if I fit these I will need to remove the rear seats as they will be rendered useless - seems a bit daft in a 5 door I know but that's just the way it has worked out.

Can I run the harnesses in conjunction with the normal front seatbelts or is this dodgy? I am sure I have seen it mentioned on here before....

Can anyone share any pics or links to build threads of a 5 door MK2 track car so that I can see what sort of setup other people are running. I assume all the usual rules apply as they would to a 3 door but I just have this stigma in my head about a 5 door track car for some reason!

Can 5 door roll cages be obtained? I do not plan to strip the interior, just replace the front seats and remove the back seats. A roll cage is something I may want to add further down the line.

2. nealey Forum Junkie

A couple of 5 door mk2 track cars I know of on this forum.

Adam_16v runs a 5 door mk2 16v which is now caged I believe

also 1.8t_mk2 runs a 5 door mk2 1.8t which is caged

Both have build threads on here

3. Willber Forum Member

Thanks Nealey. I managed to dig out Adam_16v thread last night and had a good read of it, basically the same idea as I have with my car.

To be honest I am only thinking about the cage from a safety point of view, not a chassis one. The car will mainly be used for fast road use and occasional trackdays - maybe 5 a year?

I think some of the hillclimb championships or divisions stipulate that the car must be standard i.e. back seats still fitted.

I think I can fit the harnesses with the back seats still fitted, even though this will render them useless. Hillclimbing is something of interest to me, Harewood is very local and looks like good fun.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011