5k oil changes for R32 - What oil 5w30 or 5w40?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60Dub, Jan 24, 2013.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

As the title - Going to fetch some oil for the Bora on Saturday and given I'll be changing the blood every 5000 miles what oil should I be going for?

Quantum Synta Platinum 5w40 (for recent models on fixed service interval)
    or
    Quantum Longlife III 5w30 (for recent models on variable service interval)

Cant really see the need in paying the premium for the longlife soup if I'm changing it every 5k unless of course the 5w30 is mandatory on the R32

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Purely due to my hatred of longlife servicing I'd choose platinum. It should be able to stay in the sums twice your interval

3. oburT6RV Forum Member

Get the Castrol Edge 5W/40 when it's on offer at Opie oils or 5W/40 Fuchs Titan S (formerly Silkolene Pro S).

5/30 is a bit thin and tends to get drunk, unless you have a very tight motor.

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Excellent... 5W/40 Titan it is! :)

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the difference between the plat & Long life if the about of additives that allow it to last from 10K to 20K

I agree 20K is far too long, but thats what lease companies want
    So Platinum it is!

6. oburT6RV Forum Member

I had a 140k old AUE 2.8, which I stripped down to prep for turboing (but then decided to go R32 as there are no performance parts available for AUEs) and it had been longlifed from day 1. I was shocked how little wear there was, despite looking like the insides had been coated with treacle.

Longlife can work, but it's not for me! 10K changes at the most!

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I may well stretch out to 8K on the changes due to the extra cost. (read as tight LOL) I have 10l of longlife now sitting in the growing collection pile of service parts.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i remember reading years back that platinum was the absolute nuts

in the S4 and mk3 it was one of the only engine oils id used where id noticed a drop in oil temp

do you buy yours 20L at a time? i think it was getting up to 80 for 20L when i stopped

9. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

No net yet but thinking for the price that maybe buying in larger quantities is on the cards.

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

2 year bump on this one... Tried the Platinum 5W40 for a while and then as a test switched to the Longlife 5W30 as a test. Discovered the engine uses no 30W between 5k changes so stuck with the Longlife on 5-6k changes. Doing a roadtrip this summer and going to be doing prob 200 miles a day across southern France & Italy in the heat etc and wondering if it's better this time to use some premium Ester base like Fuchs Titan Pro S but not sure if 1 it's warranted and 2 do I use a thicker 40w

blis likes this.