5x100 brake discs and 'stuff'

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Jon Olds, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

So, I have an Audi A3 off road racer, which is a mix and match of brake parts, and I need some help...
    Its on 5x100 and Ive downgraded from 312mm discs to 288 so I can get 15" rims on (I need them for tyre choice)
    Anyway they bind, so I'm looking at the discs and their offset, as well as caliper / pad / disc running clearance.
    Its pretty much all new generic stuff.
    I have a pair of 280mm 22mm thick discs and two pairs of 288x25mm thick (one with next to no offset.
    I think the 25mm ones are too thick and with no wear on the pads they bind even with the pistons right back.
    So, I need 22mm thick 288mm diameter, if they exist? Or do I???
    Jon

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Know it's not a great solution Jon, but when i fitted 280s on my mk2 I've had to remove a little bit off the pads as it was binding.
    What are your discs originally?
    A3 or mk4 I presume, are mk3 later gti/vr6 compatible? Or polo 9n3 gti?
    Also, if you use 57mm calipers off of an audi a4 b6/7 it is a great upgrade, thanks to @Joe_Pineapples for telling me about it.

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

Never ran into this problem so i suggest you look at the later caliper as they might give you the necessary clearance you need...alternately remove some brake pad material or get the discs skimmed on a lathe...

4. dodgy

It's not a mix of caliper/carrier pulling off centre slightly @Jon Olds ?

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks guys, had one of those 'banging your head on the wall' days. Its such a mix match of bits that I'm not sure what has come from where..
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Can you check part numbers on etka or 7zap on carriers, discs etc, sort of reset everything?

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Its all mk4 based. Think I need to sit down and start measuring, everything. It would be useful to know if mk4 (288mm) pads only come in one
    thickness?? May even just go the breakers and buy a whole known corner, so I have something as a reference. I have the boxes the new discs came i , so I can look at the part numbers and work backwards. It does make me laugh though, brakes are the last area you ever have tow worry about racing on grass. Usually, just stick in a set of aggressive pads and your off
    Thanks again, responses are morale support, which is always helpful..
    LOL
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Can someone please confirm (5x100 bolt pattern) ;

1. Mk4 calipers and pads are the same for 288mm and 312mm discs
    2. There are only two different caliper carriers (small offset is 288, big is 312mm)
    3. 280mm by 22mm discs fit legs with carriers built in, and are therefore not interchangeable with parts from the 288/312 set up

Thanks
    Jon

9. Adamss24 Forum Member

I have had brakes for a Skoda vrs 5x100 312mm…they worked fine on my golf however I used Passat v6 tdi caliper carriers to clear the uprights…I don’t have the tyres yet for my conversion otherwise I would have fitted it all again…went back to 5x100 280mm for mot purposes as I cannot run 16” on my mk2 because they are not listed on the logbook…

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks.
    I guess you may have back to 288's from 312's, as this is a bolt on mod, rather than replacing the hubs too?? I am making some progress
    on my job. What I thought was a mechanical mismatch of parts actually has a hydraulic element, where fluid pressure (minimal, really minimal)
    is causing me brake bind.
    So my 'leftover pile of new bits: pair new 280x22 discs, pair of new 288x25 discs with the wrong offset, pair of used 312 carriers, pair of used 312mm discs.
    Back to making that remote servo work properly next.
    Lost count of how many times I have drained the fluid from the system and removed the front engine mount / PS tank / coolant tank etc to access the master cylinder....
    Will get there, I'm sure..
    Jon

dodgy likes this.
  11. Joe_Pineapples Paid Member Paid Member

Looking for a pair of 312mm carriers myself if they're spare Jon ;^)

Pretty sure I have a spare pair of later mk3 288mm calipers you're welcome to for comparison if needed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Messaged..
    Jon

13. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Just another idea to explore and not sure I am following 100% - when I struggled to remove the outer cv joint from my hub I managed to bend the locations where the carrier attaches to on the cast hub. If this part isn't straightened/fixed it would cause the caliper to be offset.

On my Corrado I have 288 upgraded calipers and carriers, mk3 288 5x100 discs under 15in alloys. Is there anything helpful I could look at for you? I'm pretty sure my calipers and carriers came from a mk4 breaker but can't remember for sure.

20220310_095217.jpg

Jon Olds likes this.
  14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok so mk3 golf 288mm calipers, carriers, and pads are the same as equivalent MK4 golf. discs differ, mk3 are 288x25mm which are same thickness as mk4 so assuming only difference is offset.

15. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks guys, after lots of 'round the houses' I have the 288 brakes back together and bled. Think the statements above I made are correct, next is a squirt up down street to try and get some feel if they are ok. Awaiting the ECU back, so that'll be soon. First proper event 22nd May, so well ahead schedule. Loads learned, as ever, on my first visit to 5 stud land. Mine is on 15's too, without the spacers. It had them on when I bought it, but they are so heavy... and it makes my trailer clearance tighter. Its got S3 front wings on, so the wheels are inset slightly, but who cares??
    May have been easier (in hindsight.. ) to drop the motor to replace the servo, but live learn..
    Jon