$64000 Question - How Much

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dave, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I realise that this is the perenial question, and has seen the light of day many times, BUT.
    What is a sensible price?
    I am looking at two 8v GTIs at the moment:
    1991 - Original - 1 owner - 60000 miles - 3000+.
    1990 - Original? - ? owners - 80000 miles - 1000.
    The first seems bloody expensive, the second one sounds cheap?

I have a major problem in considering these cars, I live in Ireland, and getting to see these cars is going to mean a lot of time, effort and expense. I did come to the UK in January to look at a car, and it was a waste of time. Don't fancy that experience again.

2. jonigale Forum Member

Well it will depend alot on the state of the interior exterior etc. but the mileage is incredibaly low on both, and the top one has only had one owner so they're gonna know everything about the car, but the price seems a little steep from the info given. THats only my opinion.[:$]

3. Daz... Forum Member

3000+ for an 8v is a lot of money IMO.

As said....it really does depend on what condition they are in and ultimately how much you are willing to pay for what you want....

4. stew72 Forum Member

To be honest you need to see them both in the metal to be truely sure. From experience I would say that the second one is likely to be the most realistally priced of the two, but I wouldn't be expecting an 80k minter though.

If I was viewing the first one I'd be expecting a minter, so there's a greater chance of disappointment.

5. Dave

I would certainly expect to pay a relatively high price for a minter. But, I am not at all sure how to gauge a realistic value.
    I haven't got the time, energy or facilities to do more than regular maintainance on a car these days, nor can I afford to pay someone else to do it properly.
    In the past I have bought second hand cars and had to replace lots of gorilla damaged parts, or change incorrectly set up components.
    Latest gorilla problems: Changing the cam belt on the 100 2.0E.
    Allen capscrew heads on crank pulley damaged. Got them out by hammering in a Torx bit. Allen cap screw head damaged on alternator mount. Torx and hammer again. Teeth non-existant on power steering adjuster and one bolt missing. Balance shaft 30 degrees out of sync with camshaft.
    This kind of thing seems to be a bain of my life. The VR6 had to have new aux water pump, new rad fans, new thermostat housing. This car I bought in UK on a flying visit, I don't want to do that again.

6. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

they are both 17 year old cars your would be takin your chances with both in my opinion

and 3000 is allot for an 8v , although if it is completely spotless and been maintained regardless of cost with reciepts to prove it , sounds good expensive but good , what colour are they? 3 door or 5? and do you care ?

if a car has low milage it could have (would have!) been standing for a long time i would check all the rubber components , suspension , brakes and calipers and general corrosion , that sould get some money off :thumbup: :thumbup:
    good luck:lol:

7. Seraph Banned

gota want it bad?, thats creeping to mk4 gti money....

8. Dave

I am with you on the condition of components on a car that has been standing. This one's supposed to have stood for 8 years. I voiced my opions about components damaged through standing too long, and the seller says that he regularly moved it to keep things ticking over. I will go and look at it, and accept the cost of travel etc., although I won't be surprised if it's not 100%.
    Both 3 dr. The expensive one is red, the other is grey. I quite like grey cars. The only red car I have ever owned was a Saab Sport, and they had to be red.

9. Lord0pants Forum Member

I, along with the rest of you absolutely LOVE the mk2... but 3k for a humble 8v is simply too much!

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

1000 for an 8v with 80k miles is a good price if it isnt a complete dog.

Just over a year ago somebody I know paid 1800 for one with 80k miles, 2 previous owners.

11. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

I think that wether we like it or not Mk2 Golf GTI's are fast becoming a real Icon and the days of buying them for cheap money seems to be nearly over. I've noticed a definate hardening of prices this year, and as more are scrapped, the laws of supply and demand kick in and lift prices again. Original Mint cars are getting harder and harder to find, and what seems to be expensive to some people, isn't to others. After all what can you buy thats anything like worthwhile for 3K thesedays.

12. Bonzo New Member

Daved is that the red gti in the autotrader?

Im up north myself and seen this one, thought he had it advertised at 3,995?

Nice set of BBS RM's on it but very expensive overall in my opinion.

He's had it advertised for a few weeks so you might get a deal.

have you seen it yet?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

The Scottish Approach: go for the cheaper one
    The Girly Approach: Which one's the nicer colour?

Seriously, I'd avoid the expensive one. I don't think any 8v is worth that much. It's still gonna have tired suspension bushes and knackered shockers. The clutch will be close to needing changed for the first time too, especially if it's done a lot of town driving. If you bought it and actually drove it, then you destroy the very reason why you paid the inflated price in the first place. Or are you going to store it in your private collection?

If the 1k one is worth a look, if it's got lots of history, low owners, no accidents, and drives right. And you've got 2k to spend on making it go faster.

At 80k miles, it shouldn't have any holes in the seats or carpet, and for 1k, everything needs to be tidy and work properly. It should also have a full MOT and some tax.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1187489#post1187489

That one might be worth a look too.

I paid 1500 for a 2.0 16v converted mk2, with new suspension bushes, sports suspension, big brakes, good gearbox, refurbed PAS, tidy interior, full MOT, etc. It's not perfect, and the shell isn't totally original, but it's a good comparison of what you can get for the money. If you're buying a modded car you have to satisfy yourself that it's been done right though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  14. gordysmit New Member

I paid 3k for a 2 owner golf colour concept mk3 8V with 72 k on clock and full history but when I put it in for mot I had to get new disks and pads all round rear shocks bushes exharst so low miles and full history does not meen nothing P.S the car looked mint too just fell in love with car

15. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I paid well over 3K for a certain MK2 and now spending the same again on it at the body shop. Bloody MK2s eh! :lol:

Good luck in your search. By the sound of it you're going to need to get yourself over for a few days and look at as many MK2s as you can. Didn't realise that decent ones were that hard to come by in Ireland.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  16. Jeff Forum Junkie

prices vary wildly. a truly mint one might be worth 3k, then again they might be chancing it because theyve seen some advertised at that price. the thing is what they are worth varies just as wildly. you can get an underpriced one thats really good for 1000, or a heap of **** for 3000 that someones chancing their luck with because they think that if some sell for that much then theirs should too. the same applies at the 1000 mark too. condition is everything with cars this old! its because the condition varies so much at this age that the true value does too.

I think you've got to decide how mint you want it to be. there are very very tidy (maybe not mint but close) examples around for 1k, but they arent easy to find. 3k it would have to be spotless, and you just dont know if it is. also are you willing to keep one in that mintier than mint condition, if you get there and find it is? if youre not, 3k is a waste for you even if the car is worth it, because you'll lose the money by not looking after it (it wont stay worth that unless you keep it showroom).

Then again, maybe you've got money to burn, or you're planning to baby it. in which case forget the 1k cars they wont be good enough.

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Capri green 8v on ebay recently went for 4500 with low mileage.

18. Dave

Yes that's the one. I put 3000+ cos I hoped to bring the price down. But, I haven't been to look at it, as, since Jan, when I came to the UK to look at a car, I have been ill and only just got back to the hunt. Seems too expensive and I'm not really into red (sorry).
    I've seen a grey GTI in Durham for 900. It sounds good, but I still feel too weak after pneumonia to go rushing around just yet.

To everyone else who has been kind enough to reply. Thanks.
    I don't intend to baby the car, but to use it regularly. My present GTI, I have owned for 20 years now, and at 180,000 miles is still on the original clutch. But, it leaks water. I believe this is due to some split seams, as it was stolen and recovered, a couple of months later, in a field with the underside bent.
    I don't do many miles now, no job so no commuting. I just want a nice car thats worth looking after for the next 20 years.

19. CONRAD New Member

Hi Daved

My advise would be to get as much info and pictures of the cars via email as you can before going to look at anything and that way you get a much better idea of how the car has been looked after visually and with servicing etc. Once you've found a few worth looking at then make one trip to view the lot before you make a decision. Happy hunting.[8D]

Conrad