6A into Mk2 - Help Please - Parts list?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, Aug 25, 2005.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

Finally getting round to fitting my Audi 6a engine into the Mk2 16v. I've got this list of bits that I think I'll need, anyone got any to add or comments before I call GSF and order this lot? :)

I already have the engine, another 16v gearbox and flywheel and obviously the complete running KR engine and box in the car at the moment. I have a 'Mr Brown' solid front mount but want to replace the others too - the gearbox one is 14 but the rear one seems expensive at 43 - is that correct?

I assume I need the Audi oil filter rather than the Golf one? I thought they were all the same to be honest but GSF think otherwise! :p

I think my 6a will be ok with it's standard oil cooler mouting (I have rotated the cooler 90 degrees since pic) - see pic - will it clear the front crossmember in a Mk2? Already have KR oil pickup, sump and cams in there.

[​IMG]

(Part no's all GSF)

Gearbox oil (Redline?)

Coolant G12

Engine Oil Silver

Oil filter Golf 16v (12045C) or Audi 16v (12047B)?

Oil cooler seal (15498)

Manifold gaskets Inlet upper (11816) inlet lower (11817) exhaust (11832)

Water Pump - complete (17058)

Thermostat (17626) does this come with complete pump?

Engine mountings Rear 16v 10139A Gearbox (31146)

Clutch 16v standard (18971)

Clutch cable manual adjusting (71566)

Any help much appreciated, plan to order this lot to collect on Sat and get started!

Cheers

Stu
    Edited by: Stu

2. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Might be worth fitting a new crank oil seal. Injector o-rings. things like that.

Having a 16v already means you have most bases covered tho.

Your list is nothing like mine as im converting from 8v digi to 2litre 16v on kjet.

My list just goes on and on [:s]

3. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Stu, I would buy a brand new oil pump, and clean out the donor oil pickup.

Oh and a new sump gasket :)

Steph

4. Michael Ghia Forum Member

Engine has already had New Timing belt, New Flywheel Oil Seal, New Sump Gasket and I inspected the oil pump gears and body and found them to be in great conditon.

MG

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

The oil cooler is the same as the KR one I think, and the filter is probably the same spec too - make sure you get a gen one whichever it is. It shouldn't have a problem clearing the X-member. I got a cooler from an Audi for my Golf and it was fine.

43 for the engine mount sounds wrong...I replaced all mine with 16v items, and the most I paid for one was about 25 quid (from ECP, but GSF prices were almost identical). Make sure you get the best quality ones.

Buy nuts and bolts for the manifolds, and maybe exhaust studs too.

What manifold + downpipe are you going to run? You'll probably snap a Manifold->Downpipe stud or 2 if using the std setup. Might be a good precaution to replace all the exh man studs in the head anyway, and buy a couple of downpipe ones as spares.

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

The water pump will not come with a thermostat. Genuine VW water pumps are only about 2 more than GSF and much better quality.

I've retained the 6A oil cooler and used a Golf oil filter - fits no problem.

7. breeze Forum Member

Cost of the rear mount sounds fine - you have a hydraulic mount which is more expensive than the standard ones (shared with the g60 I think?).

Definitely worth doing all the mounts at the same time - saves wear on the others when one is bad.

Let us know how it goes...

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Stu, you forgot some black paint for the block :p

Sounds like you've got it pretty much sorted and some good advice above. :)

Good luck with the swap mate. :thumbup:

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers for the info, keep the suggestions coming! [:^:]

I will try and get hold of a genuine VW waterpump then from the local main dealer and investigate the engine mount prices at GSF before I buy them.

I will be using the standard exhaust manifold and downpipe and it should hopefully come apart ok as I had it to bits without snapping any studs about 6 months ago when doing a head gasket. Will get some spare studs and new nuts etc anyway - good idea. :)

Gary - Don't be cheeky! I did think about painting the block but got bored of the idea and more keen on just getting the thing installed before winter! :lol:

Will post up progress pics when I get started! [:D]

10. Mark16v Forum Member

A step by step might be good too Stu, for the people considering this swap themselves ;) [:D]

11. bigfatpixey Forum Member

might as well put a mk3 diesel windage tray thing in it if your putting a new oil pump on, their own 28 form gsf. are you going to put new crank case breather seal and gasket on it whilst you have it out? any bearings?

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I called the local VW dealer regarding the waterpump this morning and he said they can order me one in but it's 33.25 (inc vat) on exchange, with a 30 surcharge until I return my old one.

Seems a bit steep, was going to keep the old one anyway for a spare as there is nothing wrong with it, just swapping as a matter of course for peace of mind. Any thoughts? Should I call a different dealer or is that price correct - can anyone check who has ETKA or whatever it's called - does that have prices on? :)

13. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hadn't thought of crank case breather seal & gasket - are they worth changing then? Not sure if I might need to swap those bits over from the KR to make it all fit with the original water hoses? Bearings, no. Hopefully ok as I think the engine has only done 80k or so.

Sticking with existing oil pump, as Mike says above it's in good condition. It has the stock (I think) clip on windage tray thingy on it and Mike's welded a few baffles into the sump. :)

14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Will try and keep track and take some pics along the way. I expect it'll be a bit different to most Mk2 swaps as I have A/C so a compressor, load of extra pipes, massive radiator and condensor to all get in my way! [:s] :lol:

15. DuBDuDe Forum Member

maybe ill do a step by step if i get time when i do mine. We will see when the time comes. Mine will be a bit more complex as i have to change from 8v digi to a 9a so ive got all the other gubbins to worry about but maybe it will make an interesting post so u can all read about my f u c k ups :lol: Not that there will be any ;)
    Edited by: DuBDuDe

16. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good idea, always interesting to read about peoples projects/conversions. Digi to K-jet might be a bit of a headache![:s]

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Been to GSF and got a load of parts today, everything from my list above anyway :) Hopefully start work tomorrow once I get hold of a few tools I don't yet have.

One question though - I bought a new clutch kit and it has the friction disc, pressure plate, release plate, bolts and spring but no release bearing? Is this usually part of the kit? Also, it doesn't have the bolts to connect the pressure plate to the flywheel - should I re-use the old ones?

18. Oplaii Forum Member

The release bearing is in the other end of the g/box if it's an 020, so clutch kit does'nt come with one like an 02a does. I've re-used the flywheel bolts in mine enough times [:$] :p

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

The Haynes says not to, but I've re-used the bolts with no problem.

20. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Ah ha, that makes sense about the relase bearing, thanks for the reply. I take it I can change the bearing at a later date once the 'box is installed in the car then should I need to?

Noted about the flywheel bolts [:D]

Managed to source just about everything I need for the swap now (I hope) - just need to get hold of an engine crane now from my mate!