8 valve engine won't start

Discussion in '8-valve' started by aquatoo, Dec 13, 2010.

1. aquatoo New Member

Isn't that further over to the left on the face of the block? The one I mean is just right of the oil pump and filter and before you get to the dizzy.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that sounds like a crank sensor, but a digi mk2 engine shouldn't have one! do you actually have some kind of mk3 engine...

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

the plot thickens :lol:

4. rubjonny

if it is a 2.0 8v engine with a crank sensor, then the issue could be the dizzy. the crank sensor equipped mk3s have the wrong dizzy for MK2 digi management! check the trigger window on the dizzy. if it only has 1 hole, there's your problem, go find a 2e engine code dizzy and it should run.

head & inlet etc are different though, unless its had a mk2 head swapped on

5. aquatoo New Member

Well it looks the same as the one that came out. The guy who sold it to me also gave me the loom for it and it has lines with the sensors attached that are the blue and black ones but there is also a third I have noticed. As we have nowhere to put a third we were quite happy to just reconnect the old loom.

As the water inlet flange wasn't on the new engine we just fitted the one from the old one.

I haven't changed any of the loom but just connected the old one back up. with the two sensors the same as it was before. If it helps, we also got the ECU which is exactly the same number as the old one.

Do the 2litre MK3 engines look the same as the 1.8 MK2's?

The dizzy that's on this engine is the one that came with it and it obviously hadn't been changed. It looks the same as the old one in any case.

6. aquatoo New Member

Just to clarify left and right. I am describing the engine from a position stood in front of the car.

7. rubjonny

shouldnt be any sensors on that side of the engine, the knock sensor is next to the alternator. the 1.8-2.0 engine block and dizzy do look pretty much the same externally, except the later 2.0 have a crank sensor right down the bottom next to the gearbox under the front mount/oil filter housing. as i say, take the dizzy cap off and check the number of dizzy trigger window holes!

main thing 2.0 has over the 1.8 is a front block breather, so thats a givaway :)

pics of the sensor you mean might help here

8. aquatoo New Member

Will take a picture when I get to the car again. Weather prevents me at the moment.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like an AGG or an ADY engine. Are you able to read the engine number from the top of the block below No.3 spark plug)? Sometimes the engine number is still on the sticker on top of the cambelt cover too. The letters at the start of the engine number are the engine code.

Man up and open the bonnet in the snow... it won't kill you :lol:

10. aquatoo New Member

Won't rev above 5k

Thanks to everyone on here that answered. We got the engine running a while ago and have sorted out various odds an ends on the car.

Compared to the previous engine, which had a straight through pipe instead of the first box this engine won't rev above 5k and lacks power.

It's now got a proper exhaust system, the same ECU as before, same fuel rail and injectors, same everything except the engine.

What limits the rev range on the engine? The cylinder pressures are all down a bit from what they should be although not a great deal. Could the timing account for this?

Help please

11. rubjonny

the ecu is what governs the rev limiter, and 5k rev limit is classic symptom of the dizzy timing being out. so start there. what engine is it, 2e or agg/ady. or alternatively, does it have an isv or a crank sensor?

12. aquatoo New Member

Hi Rubjonny

It has an ISV. I have downloaded your stuff on ignition timing and will start with that. I've just been reading stuff through the forum and timing seems to be the answer.

It's a digi engine. Is it best to go completely with setting the marks up or should it be checked with a timing gun?

Thanks

13. rubjonny

right its a 2E code then, you need a timing gun and vag-com! unless you swapped the head and injection system for MK2 digi stuff? if so just follow my digi tuning guide, you do need a timing gun and i wouldnt bother touching the CO unless you have a testing kit

14. aquatoo New Member

Went out and bought a timing gun and a gas analyser. Using your guide I tuned the engine and it goes a lot better than before. However the fuel consumption now indicates 22 mpg. Any ideas?

15. rubjonny

is it accurate?

16. aquatoo New Member

I don't know. I can't tell unless it runs a fair bit more but why would it be inaccurate?

17. rubjonny

well what i mean is, is the mfa wrong, or is it really only getting 22mpg. if the former check things liek the speedo sensor and vac hose, if latter then you have something up with the engine which needs fixing