8 Valve Tuning

Discussion in '8-valve' started by SteveoM3, Sep 21, 2005.

1. SteveoM3 Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Just purchased another Mk2 8v digi for the missus (so she thinks, yeh right!) [:D] pics to follow shortly...

This car has a receipt for work@ TSR, has a pack C head, 203 cam, and apparantly 'did' have a 1.9 bottom end which is dead (details of how it died unknown).

So, im going to be playing with this car over the next few months (can't find my lego set!). First off, I want to check it actually has a Pack C head, as it doesn't feel anywhere near as torquey as my existing 8v which has same spec head etc. And I want to check what bottom end is on it.

What's the best way to check out this motor without having to take too many bits apart, any ideas? what am I looking for on it? I guess a code on the block to identify the bottom end, and that I will have to take the rocker / valve cover off to try and see the size valves? any other ideas?

Also if the head checks out, how much power gain should i get from putting a standard 2.0 bottom end on it? I have also seen carbs / TB's fitted to a mk1 1800 8v engine before, is this really a good option or do they suffer from way too much heat soak?

Any advice would be appreciated, I have a budget of about 1200 to make this engine go as good as poss!

cheers

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

With that setup I'd keep the standard injection

The only way to check the engine out properly is to do a complete strip on it. You could always get another block bored to accept the 1.9 pistons.

Other checks you could do without a total strip.

1. Try turning it over by hand, or on the starter
    2. Do a compression test, if it will turn over on the starter - do it wet and dry to assess the state of the rings.
    3. Drop the sump off and drop the pistons out to check they're OK. You can also check the bearings while you're in there.
    4. Take the rocker cover and the cam off, to check for broken or dropped valves
    5. Take the head off to check the pistons and bores

The pistons are probably the most expensive bit of the 1900. If they're OK, then you could have another PB block bored to fit. If you haven't bought it yet, haggle on the basis of a new bottom end needed, or a whole engine.
    You have PM, by the way.