'87 Mk2 Jetta 16v exhausts

Discussion in '16-valve' started by bones, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

My exhaust is rattling so im thinking of replacing the entire exhaust. Ill soon be fitting a GTI Eng RE1900 and hopefully the early kstar will work properly. I want to stay away from powerflow etc and get an exhaust fit for the engine, but I keep hearing that the standard ones were pretty good as they were. The engine comes with all the matched manifolds as well. Ive no idea if genuine is still left, but are ernst or other OE replacements worth getting? Or any other recommendations?
    ta

2. TrackCab16v Forum Member

jettex will compliment that set up nicely

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

i hate my jetex...sounds really chavvy , spoke to another owner in the week and he agreed

nothing wrong with the vag system if you want subtle

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

15% off at Longlife? Ask around to see if your local fitting centre has a good rep.

VAG systems might still be available for the Jetta (I guess the back box is different from the Golf mk2 but the rest is probably the same). I've never had a problem with Ernst stuff, although they seem to spit out the odd part that doesn't fit properly, from other people's experiences.

5. goodridge Forum Member

Whatever you do don't get pattern. I recently manged to get a full system form my 88 8v Jetta. The fit was actually pretty good for pattern parts. But when I fired it up, I was horrified at the reverberating noise from the middle box. I know this is a common MK2 thing, but on this system just sounds awful :-( Wish there was more choice when it came to Jetta's exhasut wise. I am thinking of making my own now

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's pattern and there's pattern. If you buy a budget one from Kwik Fit or a motor factor, you'll get what you paid for, which wasn't much.

Ernst stuff is a cut above the low end tat, but still not as good as Gen VW. It's about half the price though.

7. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

ive got a vibrating front box at the min which is bloody annoying, but i was quoted 300+ at VW!!! Holy cow!!!

8. goodridge Forum Member

Where is the ernst stuff from? GSF? Is it available for the Jetta?

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

GSF do Ernst, and I think ECP do as well. You'll have to check their online catalogue to see if they list one for the Jetta.