8v/16v Suspension

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by costel1969, Jul 19, 2019.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Folks,
    Quick question regarding the 8v & 16v suspension differences

I understood from before that the 16v sits approx. 10mm lower than the 8v so I was presuming that it was just the springs that were different and everything else is the same and can be swopped over.

However and granted I'm a little rusty these days but the shocks (rear and front) for the 8v and 16v are not the same and also from prior posts if you try and do a full swop to the 16v setup on an 8v, the car tends to sit with the nose up - presumably because the 8v lump is lighter than the 16v.

So my question is - are the new/unused shocks, top mounts, bump stops etc. that I have sitting in my garage for the 16v completely unsuitable for my recently purchased 8v?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I put 16v springs onto 8v dampers on an 8v mk2 gti and it dropped the nose a touch.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

is all your stuff original vw or aftermarket?

yes from new they were different parts , alot of aftermarket sellers sold the same parts for both cars , think it will be a case of try it and see if you like how it sits

4. costel1969

It’s not original VW, I think the front and rear shocks are either Sachs / Boge, bump stops and covers are either Febi/Monroe springs are original VAG alright.
    I will most likely convert the 8v to the 256mm 16v brakes which would mean that hub unit would also change to 16v set up so that might support a shock change at the front and I got the full (strut) units for the front and not the inserts

5. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Here is my 2L 8v on standard 16v suspension

Attached Files:

6. costel1969

Nice looking car Valvemeister - on the first pic and granted it’s 4:20am where I am, is the car slightly higher at the front compared to the rear and if so, I’m presuming your happy with how she handles? I’ve got all this suspension gear bought and assembled and I just want to swop it into the 8v as ultimately I hope to do a full 8v -> 16v conversion

7. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi thank you second pick was just after bodywork repair due to run in with a van, front is slightly higher than rear but doesn't bother me my cars suspension was shot when I got it so put 16v suspension on for a cheap upgrade the ride is pretty firm but I like it like that anyway and it's only a second car for the road. I seem to remember when I had a standard 16v it was lower at the rear iirc it was a long time ago.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

pretty sure an orig one would have looked higher at the front ...my g60 on orig parts sits like it too

9. costel1969

Sound as a bell chaps - I think I’ll give it a go and swop the lot over and see what happens, when I get back to Ireland. I’ll keep ye posted on progress (or the lack of it)
    Thanks again
    Robert