8v Brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by joe98, Jun 2, 2019.

1. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive got an 8v shell mk2 and I need new brakes. What’s the easiest way of finding out which brakes I need for it?

My mate has some brand new ones he’s doing a deal for me

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Tbh, 8v brakes are weak, the best investment is a set of 16v or g60 front hubs and discs with matching calipers.
    But if you stay with original stuff, it's a 239mm disc. Vented.

3. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the advice. The issue is what size brakes I need, I’ve heard the 16v don’t fit on the 8v.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

On my road CITI i'm currently keeping with the 239mm GTI discs.
    I'm on set 4 of pads
    Now on expensive race type carbon metallic pads, which work. From nearly cold
    Fast road? Tried them, waste of time
    Jon

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look at your wheel bearing carriers and your calipers. If the brake carriers are cast into the bearing carriers, you have the 239mm versions. For 256-280mm you need the type which has 2 bolt holes cast into the bearing carrier for the caliper carrier to bolt onto, like this:
    4stud256carrier.jpg

For 239mm setup on the caliper itself if it has 'VWII' cast into it then these are for the thicker 12mm solid discs and vented 20mm discs (GTI should have vented discs) if no markings they are VWI and only work with thinner 10mm solid discs

VWI:
    vwi.jpg

VWII:
    vwii_2.jpg

allymac likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They don't. Thats why I said 239 for standard, 256/280 for uprated.
    RJs pic should help. on an original 8v the caliper carrier is part of the hub.

7. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers guys, I'll take a look tomorrow.

8. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

AD44A774-E57B-4C17-AD5C-7D52758DFF79.jpeg 8FC65AAC-317D-4EDE-AF49-BE829405E3C1.jpeg So this is what I’ve got, I know my brakes are in bad shape but the car hasn’t been driven in months :cry:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for discs and pads?

Thanks

9. rubjonny

k'inell, is that disc thin or what on the outside :lol:

yeah so standard GTI 8v brakes 239mm vented. have a good check over while its in bits, make sure nothing is seized etc as you've nearly worn the disc thru to the vents on the outside but nowhere near as much on the inside

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Those 'metallic' pads are sure hard on the discs!
    Jon

11. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys, don’t worry though the car wasn’t driven like that on the road! Only ever private land till it’s fully fixed up

12. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So the brakes are on but one of the callipers are seizing pretty bad. I'm replacing them but on VW Heritage there are two different calliper sizes. I've got 239mm brake discs but the callipers say they fit "239mm x 12mm and 239mm x 20mm" and "239mm x 10mm"

Not knowing the size of the discs I bought as they didn't have that info can I get the "239mm x 12mm and 239mm x 20mm" calipers?

https://www.vwheritage.com/1h0615123a-brake-caliper-left-for-239x12mm-or-239x20mm-discs-vw-spare
    https://www.vwheritage.com/1h0615124a-brake-caliper-right-for-239x12mm-or-239x20mm-discs-vw-spare

Thanks

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

yours will be the thicker disc ...thin ones are non vented

14. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

After actually reading the description I realised which I need :) thanks for the help anyway

15. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Yet another question about brakes... sorry if this is obvious but I need rear calipers too. There are a couple choices on vw heritage and just want to make sure I get the right ones. Does anyone know which calipers I’ll need for an 8v mk2

Thanks

16. rubjonny

pre-88 you will have 36mm piston rear calipers, these have the handbrake cable on the top and hard line underneath. post-88 they're 38mm type with handbrake cable on the bottom and hardline to the top. if you have later setup you can use mk3 golf calipers which have a redesigned handbreak mechanism which is a little less prone to failure :)

17. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

18. rubjonny

you can fit late type calieprs to an early car if you fit them upside down, also mk4 golf calipers are an option but you also need a set of flexi adaptor lines. no real advantage of using mk4 over mk3 except they're lighter as alloy, they still corrode & seize plus bleed nipples are prone to seizing in due to differing metal corrosion

19. rubjonny

those are pre-88 type, 36mm piston. have a look at where your handbrake cable is attached, easiest way to see which you need