8v exhaust manifold?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Tristan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What's a proven exhaust mani for a Mk1 1.8 8v? , I'll be fitting a Newman 268 and a ported head also . Not interested in appearance , mild steel is fine . Probably better actually as I'll be able to weld it easier...

And secondly , pros amd cons of heat wrapping an exhaust manifold? I imagine it is a good thing on the non crossflow 8v?

2. Phil. Forum Junkie

I was just looking at some on ebay tonight. I have an Ashley full system and Im thinking of getting the manifold to match. It's only 150 ish. As for wrapping the theory behind it is to keep the temp up of the manifold to keep the gasses hotter (cold gas doesn't travel as quickly) it also draws heat away form the engine which would probably help the 8v head as you say not being a crossflow.

Although I have heard people say that wrapping can lead to cracks in the manifold, espically with stainless.

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

I ran an Ashley 4 into 1 with large valve (solid lifter) head and 285` cam on my old 1800 8v, excellent. Only heat wrapped the section adjacent the offside driveshaft gaiter to prevent heat damage. A good idea to wrap the whole manifold but be wary of trapping moisture causing corrosion etc..

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

ansa 4-1

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I use an Ashley 4-1 on my 8v, no probs with power thats for sure. Had mine heat wrapped until recently but it all fell apart (the heat wrap) so i took it all off. I've just had to weld all rpound the flanges due to severe cracking after 3 years abuse (though not a great deal of mileage). There were no visible signs of cracking "before" i heat wrapped it so it was either holding too much heat in or just coincidental (I use a VERY hard rear engine/box mount so unlikely that it was caused by engine movement).

If you go for an Ashley manifold, line up the exhaust gasket against the flange, you may find you need to open up the holes a bit (depending how big the ports in yr head are), and it may need a little "tweeking" to fit.

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

bit of port matching needed , hey?

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Iv'e used my 4-1 for a good few years without cracking so maybe the wrap can speed up the life of it.

8. challice Forum Member

(If you go for an Ashley manifold, line up the exhaust gasket against the flange, you may find you need to open up the holes a bit (depending how big the ports in yr head are), and it may need a little "tweeking" to fit.)

that never even crossed my mind...nice one:thumbup:

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Bit like this, but probably not quite as big.

[​IMG]