8v GTI engine into T4 transporter

Discussion in '8-valve' started by G60KG, Nov 16, 2011.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

A friend of mine is looking to convert his 1.9 Diesel T4 to a petrol to work around the new LEZ restrictions coming into place. Has anyone done this conversion using a mk2/mk3 engine? I hve searched online and I know people have done this but I just need a couple of concrete pieces of information so I know which route to take, see below

• what would be the easiest engine to fit
    • will it be plug and play the van is a 98 'S' reg
    • do I use the t4 gearbox
    • would any fuel lines or pumps need to be changed as its a diesel
    • any other clearance issues
    • are the engine mountings the same

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

ABF it.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Didn't they sell a T4 Petrol? In that case, it would be better just to buy one, if they're available. The Diseasel might even be worth more...

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I think the lower down torque of the 8v would be better suited to the van. They did do a petrol but not many about.

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Dervs have better torque than a petrol 8v low down and may I remind you findings show that 16v > 8v @ torques

6. chrisbex123 Forum Member

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Mae at work has just finished fitting a late mk3 TDi unit to a T4.

Why bother with fitting the 8v petrol? Seems like a step in the wrong direction. Unless it's to do with London Pre Euro 2 diesel tax.

Gurds

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Converting to petrol to avoid the low emission zone around heathrow and London. Shaz I still think the lower down 8v torque is better suited to get a 2ton van moving but I maybe wrong although vw never did a 16v version either but they did do a vr6. I may be wrong on the torque thing can't be arsed to check now

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

12. chrisbex123 Forum Member

No probs buddy, tis a big job to be fair. There seem to be a lot of T4 owners selling up due to this LEZ jobby.
    Id never sell mine, flipping ace vans.:thumbup:

13. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bwahahahahahahahahahah Woohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoo

Wind up? Shurely?

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

not a wind up, so do you think a 16v would be better suited to the van? Keep in mind that we are moving away from diesel motors for a very specific reason.

15. danster Forum Addict

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

cheers for the link danster some good info in there. So even though the 16v is up on torque on all levels I will still go with an 8v due to simplicity of the conversion. Would there be any benefit from fitting the diesel crand into an AGG block and would it even fit?

17. danster Forum Addict

Part of the reason for suggesting the diesel crank, was that it could help increase compression for running LPG. The stroke increase will increase capacity too of course.
    There are slight modifications involved with installing a diesel crank in a petrol block to get it to clear and slight piston mods for the deck height. Nothing too serious though.
    A 2E 2.0 petrol engine would be my preferred base engine as it does not have crank trigger wheel and could be run on the very simple Mk2 Digifant injection system for the brief warm up time till the LPG system is switched on.

One thing to note is the mounting bolt holes for the OS engine mount on the block near the timing belt need increased in size from M8 to M10.

The diesel engine you remove will still be of some value if it is kept complete. And on that note I am pretty sure I have a T4 sump, pickup pipe and oil filter housing here as well as other bits required to convert. ;):lol:

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I think I will leave messing around with the crank etc just now as I'm just helping a mate out with the install. I take it I will need the sump, pickup and oil filter housing that you have, is it from a t4 petrol engine? I have never used a tap and dye so I think I will try and get my cousin to do it as I dont really want to risk ruining the block.