8v GTI Exhausts- A comprehensive thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by mk28vICED, Apr 10, 2011.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Maybe some one can advise, the mk2 driver 1.8 I have has a single round joint between the manifold and down pipe with spring clamps holding them together. Are these really bad for performance as people say or is it just hearsay? I don't want to go to the trouble of swapping it all out for Gti stuff for no real gain.

Gurds

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

gurds, when my mk2 had a 1.6 driver engine, I had the "toilet bowl" downpipe as you mention and it was good for 102 bhp.

standard 8v Gti exhaust system + a weber 32/34 + Gti camshaft is about the maximum anyone should do on a driver engine be it 1.6 or 1.8

3. danster Forum Addict

The toilet bowl design is bad, especially if you run a longer duration cam. If you look at the timing figures for the opening and closing of the valves you can see a glaring fault due to the cross communication between the exhaust runners of 1-4 and 2-3.
    My old 1.6 made 125bhp with a few mods. It made a huge difference when I removed the toilet bowl manifold and replaced it with a 6 bolt flange Digifant (in Golf mk2) and a 4-2-1 (in my rocco). Instead of the engine hardly ticking over with the toilet bowl design with the tickover screw fully in, I had to back the tickover screw off a long way to bring the idle down as the cylinder scavenging was so much better once the primaries were isolated from one another.

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Now that is an answer!:clap:

5. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Daved,

What diameter and length, from flange face to collector merge point, are the two secondaries please?:clap:

6. Dave

LcT.

That is NWR's pipe! Not mine worst luck![:^(]

One of the tasks I have given myself is to measure those data when next I visit NWR. (May 7)

I shall post the findings.

Dave.

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

If interested I can measure and post pics of the Magnex system i've taken off consisting of the rear and centre box still if that's of any use? I've also got the cheap centre straight pipe S bend from volksbits if anyone is interested?

In addition regarding the 3 bolt pattern flange to the downpipe, I've got some pics of the miltek decat mentioned above for the mk3 golf from a different angle if again that's of any use?

However in the same bolt pattern I have a resonated miltek decat that I was led to believe is a corrado one which I can get some pics of also if it helps?

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

im sure BBT are doing them

9. nealey Forum Junkie

I can confirm that a mk3 gti decat pipe will fit the 4-2-1 manifold in post one, i.a.n.b uses that setup on his mk2

*his is a resonated mk3 decat though and he still runs all of the other original silencers, we had to chop it down slightly to make it all fit.

10. foxyjay Forum Member

im grateful for the responses however i cant see how a mk3 decat pipe with 3x 120degree hole pitch on the flange will mate up with a 2x 180degree flange.
    pics would be awesome!
    mtia

11. foxyjay Forum Member

pics please yes be great!

12. turbotommy Forum Member

Had a propper look at this today,its actually a full 2.5" exhaust,i tok a pic of the plate on the bottom & googling it came up with a mk2 8v/16v exhaust (G3 did make me think it was for a mk3 mind but they are classed as G4 [:s])

[​IMG]

13. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Original 8v exhaust systems differ in diameter at the box over rear axle,from early to late cars with the earlier cars retaining the same bore all the way through whereas the later,cars reduce in bore size

14. Dave

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  15. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'll get on it this weekend as been working unfortunately over Easter :)

16. foxyjay Forum Member

Any luck yet dude?

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Camera charged, going to the garage now to clear out my old parts so will get pics and measure :)

18. G-Man Forum Junkie

Magnex 8v exhaust system now I tried to measure but over the years and overtightened clamps appear to have mis-shaped the ends but appears to have an internal diameter of 50mm of a stock 8v system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Miltek decat for a Corrado 2.0 16v and G60 (according to balance motorsport). Code is MSVW237. Appears to be 2.5" from the 3 bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Volksbits ebay straight through middle S bend. According to ebay 50mm and appears correct.
    [​IMG]

If people want more info on any of the above let me know, plus they'll be for sale at some point soon when I pull my finger out :lol:

19. Dave

Sorry LCT.

NWR hasn't got the exhaust anymore.

I will ask him to see if the ex-Sutton car, in NI, still has this exhaust!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

How did you ever get that to fit. Never got it to bolt on to any of my exhausts with any joy.