8v Head differences

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Brookster, Jan 23, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, food for throught indeed!

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd say it didn't leave the factory like that.

3. pre67 Forum Member

well when i put my new engine in i will pop the cover off the old old engine and get a pic of it but im allmost 100% shoure that they where hydraulic ones i may be wrong tho

also when i got the car it was tapping like fook so i drained the oil out put a 5 worth of diesel in it ran it for 5 mins and the tapping stoped then put new oil in it and its fine naw

so surely it would have been the hydraulic tappets full of **** then the diesel flushed it out ???

loz

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Might well be the case. It would be interesting to know how that combination of bits came together.

5. danster Forum Addict

It has probably had the engine changed at some point.
    If the water outlet off the head to the radiator is between spark plugs 1 & 2 it is not hydraulic. If it comes off the head between spark plugs 3 & 4 it is not a 1500!
    You cannot fit the hydraulic head onto the early 1500 blocks without extensive work as the oilways do not line up.

6. pre67 Forum Member

o right i yer the water way dose come out from 1/2 to so it must be

7. Mk1gokart

Mk1gokart Forum Member

Cam difference?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm about to put the head back on my wifes '91 Scirocco Scala this weekend, and was toying with the idea of using the Newman 272 camshaft from my Mk1 Golf GTI (both 8 valve).

The bit of text above I've quoted suggests this isn't possible? Can a Mk1 cam be used in a Mk2? I'd assumed the only difference was the fact there's one less bearing cap on the 'Rocco. Or am I foolishly overlooking a much bigger difference?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if there is a full set of bearing caps in the MK1 Golf head, it uses solid lifters. heads with 1 cap missing are hydralic, and you cant mix n match hydro/solid.