8v k-jet metering flap not lifting

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by milesmk2, Jan 13, 2012.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

Ive been having some trouble getting my k-jet 8v to start from cold and i believe the problem lies with the flap in the metering head not lifting and making the injectors fire.

How can this problem be solved?

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Have you actually taken the rubber boot `top` off and tried to lift the flap ?

If the flap is sticking it may be due to it being misaligned and / or gummed up ... if it is misaligned it can be corrected by removing the unit and adjusting the counterbalance weight. If you need diagrams / info on this PM me your email.

Alternatively, it could be that the mixture adjustment screw is incorrectly set ... not allowing the flap sufficient lift `at rest`.

Why do you believe this to be the root of your problem and not something else ?

3. milesmk2 Forum Member

I believe the problem is the mixture screw as when i had the sock off earlier and an injector out i put a screw driver in the metering head to hold the flap up and turned the engine off the key, hey presto it fired.

Also when trying to set it up i noticed the engine sounded better the more i unwound the mixture screw, so it must have been allowing the flap to lift more, perhaps i just havnt turned it enough to allow the flap to sit up slightly when the throttle is closed?

4. seanr68 Forum Member

I've got a good working spare if you need it. 10 + postage.

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

Possibly ... is the cold start injector working OK ?

Get it running and onto a CO analyser to check that mixture setting.

6. milesmk2 Forum Member

Thanks for the replies, i'll have to have a look at it tomorrow morning now.

7. milesmk2 Forum Member

ITS ALIVE!

After some more research I found out there's only meant to be three shim washers under the control plunger spring, there was 4 under mine! So took the 4th one out and she fired! Gonna get an analyzer and set her up to 2% ASAP.

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Great, thanks for letting us know.

9. Ozgti New Member

I have to have mine 5mm above the narrow part for it to do anything. Even then it's difficult to start, runs very rich (??? Adjustment screw clockwise) and coughs and splutters every now and then.

Any ideas?