8V Performance

Discussion in '8-valve' started by SteveoM3, Jun 15, 2005.

1. SteveoM3 Forum Member

Hi Guys,

As some of you might know I am purchasing a rather tasty Mk2 on Saturday ;)

It's an 8v GTI. Now later I am planning on a big engine conversion, however, just wanted to know what you guys think could be done to the existing engine and what sort of power it may be getting atm, just out of interest really.

It's the original 1.8 engine, done 51k, it has a Pack C TSC head, includes high lift cams, been ported and polished, and some other tricks, it has a four branch, full performance exhaust, induction kit, different ECU, lightened and balanced fly wheel, and little things like better HT leads etc to make it work well.

I'm guessing that the 1.8 8v has around 112bhp, so I would hope that this has around 135 at a very big push!

Any ideas what people have managed to get out of 1.8 8v's? and what other performance modifications can be done? I.E TB's etc.

Cheers

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Your guess sounds about right...could even be a little bit more depending on what cam's in it, and how well it was set up... Got any rolling road plots with it?

If you're looking to upgrade it, you should be able to flog the engine for a few quid - might be worth more broken up - to fund the new one.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Talk to ChrisMc, FthaiMike and OakGreen88 about 8v's

4. SteveoM3 Forum Member

Would be a shame though, its a very sweet sounding and nice little engine, hopefully the other guys you mentioned will come in on this thread.

The engine conversion wouldnt be for a while anyway, I need to save up my pennies!

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it hasn't been on a rolling road, it's probably worth spending 100 quid getting it set up properly, if it's going to be in there for a while.

How much are you paying for the car, if you don't mind my asking. What's the rest of it like?

6. SteveoM3 Forum Member

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice... top end money for an 8v, but if you keep it that way it'll hold its value. No sense starting a conversion on a ropey old banger, unless you're trying to build the ultimate Q-car.

Some nice bits on it too (leather, wheels, engine) , so you could always sell those separately if you needed the money back, or if you had to break it (perish the thought)

The paint looks pretty original, or at least old (fine network of polishing scratches in it) so chances are it's as good as anything else out there. Interior's not the original one though, or it'd have the door cards too.
    Edited by: mikehorsb

8. VR6Will Forum Member

Bonjour,

biggish power can be got out of an 8v, it is a little expensive though, take mine for example, it hsa 170bhp which was measured at stealth, and GVK or Tubs have 180ish or more (again measured @ Stealth) for a lot less money, just the fact its a 16v.

i like my 8v though, and i wanted to tune an 8v just to be a bit different,[:D]

9. SteveoM3 Forum Member

Superb power from a 8valver there hats off to you!

What sort of cost / work would be envolved to get a 8v to that sort of power? The car I'm getting, the head was put on last year, bought from TSC for 1200.00 ish IIRC. Would TB's present a good gain on my current engine?
    Edited by: SteveoM3

10. SteveoM3 Forum Member

Ahh just realised, your on a 2.0 8v :( nm

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

The biggest problem you have regarding Throttle Bodies Steve, is that the 8v head is a counterflow design (exhaust & inlet ports on the same side) [:^(]

You occasinally see an 8v on carbs, but, thus, they sit right above the exhaust & suffer from all sorts of problems with heatsoak/poor airflow etc etc

Unfortunately the spec of the engine as it stands....1800 big valve head/hotter cam etc etc cant really be improved on massively..

The next step would be a 2L block to give you some more torque (& a bit more top end) My old 8v was a 2L & was a very similar spec to yours. That made 155BHP/153lbs/ft @ Stealth Racing! ;)

Would be a shame to pull it all apart if it has so few miles on it though. Maybe you would be better off selling the engine complete to make way for a high spec 16v??

Throttle bodies would necessitate a 2L block AND a crossflow 8v head from a new beetle (if you want half decent power/torque) :)

12. Rustynuts Forum Member

I have got a 1.9 8v and it is pretty rapid, when it was cool it ran a 15.7 at the pod but was slightly slower when fully hot.

If you are interested i might be selling my bottom end, it was built by C&R and has done 65,000 miles. Reason being is that i am going to build an 8v turbo and am going to use a 2,0l bottom end so i can use the spacer plate with the kit to reduce the compression. So the 1.9 could be available, PM if you are interested, I won't be wanting silly money at all.

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

I wouldget a rolling road like others have mentioned just to see she's pushing out the right figures 1st then come back on here.

Then depending on what you want from the car decide the next option.....

16v swap (cheaper option which people willhelp on what parts to use)

8v bigbore......mucho moneypit

8v turbo conversion.....or theover used 20v swap :lol:

14. SteveoM3 Forum Member

PM sent Rusty ;)

On the turbo subject, anyone know the easiest way to lower compression (thicker HG?) and are there any pre fab'd manifolds available. I guess if a turbo was fitted it could run 4-5psi on stock engine

Edited by: SteveoM3

15. nickvw Forum Member

If you want to increase your bhp from what you have, then think about your driving syle. Chrismc's old mk2 8v was a lovely motor, I have driven it, producing a massive 155bhp with torque to match. It was not cheap as he says but all the same, it produced the goods [:D]

I have a 1900 8v mk1 on k jet. Similar spec to yours and it produce a healthy 139.8 bhp at stealth recently.Agian probably cost was more than a 16V conversion but the choice is yours at the end of the day.

If you want more power, then go for the 16v conversion straight away.

Some good gen from chrismc and Co. Its up to you really.

Saying that, from what you have already, and you like the 8v grunt go for a 2L bottom end :)